Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route through France

Options
  • 17-01-2012 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

We're off the France for 3 weeks this may. Landing in Roscoff and would like to get to the South coast of France and see the Pyrenees as well. Northern Spain would be a bonus too but that might be a bridge too far with only three weeks. I have never done this before so would like to get some advice on possible routes or destinations. Our ideal holiday would be to spend 2-3 around a region/town/city and then move on again. Don't necessarily want to be in a different place each night.

At the moment i'm thinking of spending a few days around Brittany and then making our way through central France down as far as somewhere like Grenoble. Then skirting along the south coast and then home via the west coast. Anyone ever done this before? Recommend good places to stay/regions to visit? Is this amount of driving doable in 3 weeks, could we fit in a little of Spain as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭niloc1951

We're off the France for 3 weeks this may. Landing in Roscoff and would like to get to the South coast of France and see the Pyrenees as well. Northern Spain would be a bonus too but that might be a bridge too far with only three weeks. I have never done this before so would like to get some advice on possible routes or destinations. Our ideal holiday would be to spend 2-3 around a region/town/city and then move on again. Don't necessarily want to be in a different place each night.

At the moment i'm thinking of spending a few days around Brittany and then making our way through central France down as far as somewhere like Grenoble. Then skirting along the south coast and then home via the west coast. Anyone ever done this before? Recommend good places to stay/regions to visit? Is this amount of driving doable in 3 weeks, could we fit in a little of Spain as well?

First question is do you prefer Aires or campsites.
    Have a look at http://www.icampingcar.fr/ and http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm to see what is available by way of Aires for your selected route through France.

If you don't need campsite facilities using Aires is a good way to keep the costs down and at the same time be within walking distance of a town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

niloc1951 wrote: »
    First question is do you prefer Aires or campsites.
    Have a look at http://www.icampingcar.fr/ and http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm to see what is available by way of Aires for your selected route through France.

If you don't need campsite facilities using Aires is a good way to keep the costs down and at the same time be within walking distance of a town centre.

Aires all the way, where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maurice G

A place worth visiting is Oradour sur Glane. It is a village destroyed at the end of WW2. There is a very nice site in Confolens about 30km north west of Oradour. There is an aire at the enterance to this site.

Maurice G wrote: »
    A place worth visiting is Oradour sur Glane. It is a village destroyed at the end of WW2. There is a very nice site in Confolens about 30km north west of Oradour. There is an aire at the enterance to this site.

Here is the Aire at Oradour sur Glane, it's on the edge of the new village and within walking distance of the ruined village.

Be prepared for a very sobering demonstration of man's inhumanity to man.

Oradour sur Glane

• Advertisement

Brilliant! I saw that town in the World at War documentary series, i'm mad about WW2. This is great info and i'm definitely heading for that. Is it touristy? Limoges was one of the towns on my proposed route, anything else along the way down to the south that I should look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I was in Oradour sur Glane a couple of yrs ago,one of the most chilling places I've ever visited. The aire is v good,the bays are huge and all were douled up by evening.

I think you may struggle trying to do your proposed route in 3 weeks,its dooable but it would mean alot of full day drives if you want to stay for a few days in places.

A good 'circle' trip I've done in 3 weeks before was from Cherbourg down through the Loirre and Dordogne then over to Bordeaux and coast then north up the coast leaving from Roscoff.

Mainly stayed on France passion stops on that trip http://www.france-passion.co.uk/?gclid=CMO296fK2a0CFQRO4QodO2XZ2g We use them every trip to France,can't recomend it highly enough.

I'd be seeing what the weather is doing and then choosing a destination:D

aerosol wrote: »
    I was in Oradour sur Glane a couple of yrs ago,one of the most chilling places I've ever visited. The aire is v good,the bays are huge and all were douled up by evening.

I think you may struggle trying to do your proposed route in 3 weeks,its dooable but it would mean alot of full day drives if you want to stay for a few days in places.

A good 'circle' trip I've done in 3 weeks before was from Cherbourg down through the Loirre and Dordogne then over to Bordeaux and coast then north up the coast leaving from Roscoff.

Mainly stayed on France passion stops on that trip http://www.france-passion.co.uk/?gclid=CMO296fK2a0CFQRO4QodO2XZ2g We use them every trip to France,can't recomend it highly enough.

I'd be seeing what the weather is doing and then choosing a destination:D

Never heard of France Passion, sounds like a fantastic idea! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Also thinking of heading to France for the first time in our new campervan. Would really love to do the historical/cultural trip but we have a 12 year old daughter and I don't think she would be too impressed. Any suggestions on how to keep her amused on a 2/3 week campervan holiday? Would like to see as much as possible and not too much driving

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Jaysus The choices and options. With a 12 year old I'd keep to the coastal route right down to Biarritz. Back up through the Loire and visit Poitiers and take in Fururoscope on the way. Others on here will give you all the info on best Aires but i'd mix it with Municipal sites and one or two commercial sites to get the full works. Enjoy

• Advertisement

I have 4 days to drive from Cherbourg to Montpellier so can anyone recommend what route to take and what aires to stay over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

heres a linky that might give yous a few ideas http://www.drivethroughfrance.com/beachroute.htm
    and lots of Aires to choose from here
    http://www.i-campingcar.fr/aires/accueil.htm

colmll wrote: »
    I have 4 days to drive from Cherbourg to Montpellier so can anyone recommend what route to take and what aires to stay over night.

Saint-Lo > Flers > Alencon > Le Mans > Tours > Chateauroux > Montlucon > Clermont - Ferrand > Millau > Montpellier

A route through some of the best of France with loads of Aires, and it includes the Millau Bridge (which has the only toll for the whole route).
    Where you spend the nights will depend on what time of day you leave Cherbourg.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to the trip. More suggestions welcome.

We plan to travel in August so what is the latest time we should arrive in any particular aires to ensure we get a pitch for the night? Can any of these aires be per booked?

We plan to travel in August so what is the latest time we should arrive in any particular aires to ensure we get a pitch for the night? Can any of these aires be per booked?

The first three weeks in August are the top of the high season, you can expect all the Aires in the desirable locations to be very busy.

The best way to plan your moves is an early morning departure (9.30 ish) and arrival at your next destination by early afternoon at the latest. I would limit my hops to not more that 150Kms which should take about three hours of relaxed driving, with a stop or two along the way, on N or D roads.
    In high season the 48 or 72 hour rule is usually enforced so there will always be a turnover each day to accommodate new arrivals.
    Aires are not pre-bookable

• Registered Users Posts: 10 181151

roscoff-st nazaire-la rochelle-bordeaux-hondarrabia[just over border in spain-park at marina].from there you can go to mountains east or west.if in hurry on way back use motorway bordeaux-nantes[40 euro].to go back through central france might take too long depending on starting point

Would anyone recommend a campervan friendly campsite around montpellier for two adults, a 12 year old and a small dog. Plan to stay for a week in August

Would anyone recommend a campervan friendly campsite around montpellier for two adults, a 12 year old and a small dog. Plan to stay for a week in August

We stayed HERE a few years ago, It's very central in a touristy area and very close to Montpellier. It does not have a pool but there is a fantastic beach just across the road.
    Price if I recall correctly was about €17 for two adults all in. They also have Aire type parking with EHU etc for €10 per 24 hours which included access to all the site facilities.
    If you Google Earth 'Solignac' you will see the campsite on the right marked with a green tree symbol.

Vague route finally mapped out, only 5 weeks to go now. I am tidying up all the little bits and wanted to ask people who've been before: what do we need in terms of French driving?

For example, I will be getting beam benders and also looking into a breathalyser which I understand is law to have in the vehicle. Anything else I need?

• Advertisement

Vague route finally mapped out, only 5 weeks to go now. I am tidying up all the little bits and wanted to ask people who've been before: what do we need in terms of French driving?

For example, I will be getting beam benders and also looking into a breathalyser which I understand is law to have in the vehicle. Anything else I need?

Triangles
    Spare set of bulbs
    Breathalysers (can be got on ferry) should be about €2 for a pack of two
    Hi-viz vests (must be in cab area as you must have them on getting out)
    Spare glasses (the seeing through kind not the drinking kind) if you have prescription ones for driving
    Original RF101 (log book)
    Insurance cert
    Licence.

If you have satnav with speed camera locations get that functionality disabled, any device which identifies the location of speed cameras is illegal.

And don't forget to check your weights when fully loaded up, there is always the possibility of being subjected to a Police check and if overloaded it will cost some of your beer and wine money, worse still you might have to unload something/someone :eek: and leave it/him/her behind

Basically think safety and obey ALL the laws, the French Gendarmes take the business of road safety very seriously, way more than our crowd.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Triangles
    Spare set of bulbs
    Breathalysers (can be got on ferry) should be about €2 for a pack of two
    Hi-viz vests (must be in cab area as you must have them on getting out)
    Spare glasses (the seeing through kind not the drinking kind) if you have prescription ones for driving
    Original RF101 (log book)
    Insurance cert
    Licence.

If you have satnav with speed camera locations get that functionality disabled, any device which identifies the location of speed cameras is illegal.

And don't forget to check your weights when fully loaded up, there is always the possibility of being subjected to a Police check and if overloaded it will cost some of your beer and wine money, worse still you might have to unload something/someone :eek: and leave it/him/her behind

Basically think safety and obey ALL the laws, the French Gendarmes take the business of road safety very seriously, way more than our crowd.

Brilliant, thanks. I was gonna order the breathalysers online but €2 is cheaper than anything I could find.

Hi bluethunder, if you don't mind me asking, where is your final destination and what route are you taking? I'm just curious as I plan to head for the north east coast of Spain in August and I have no idea what route to take yet. I have allowed 4 days to get from Cherbourg to the border and plan to stay in Aires along the way. Any advice, suggestions would be welcome.

Hi bluethunder, if you don't mind me asking, where is your final destination and what route are you taking? I'm just curious as I plan to head for the north east coast of Spain in August and I have no idea what route to take yet. I have allowed 4 days to get from Cherbourg to the border and plan to stay in Aires along the way. Any advice, suggestions would be welcome.

We're going for 3 weeks and we plan on covering a large distance. I'm not sure if it will be possible and we will be playing it by ear because we may have to cut down on the distance. Our route will take us well inland, through the Loire Valley, Massif Central, close to the Alps, South Coast, Pyrenees, maybe San Sebastian, then back up to Brittany. Again, it sounds like a lot and I don't want to be racing from one point to the next so it;s all subject to change. Everything i've read about the West coast of France suggests most of it between La Rochelle and Biarritz is pretty boring and there's nothing but marsh. Maybe i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

For what it's worth, we had 2 & 1/2 weeks in France last year. We took in a bit of the Loire valley (an overnight TBH), 3 nights around the Puy-de-Dome & Auvergne before spending 5 nights in around Provence. After that it was Lyon (2 nights), Annecy (2nights) before taking in a few overnights at various locations on the way back to Cherbourg. We used a mixture of motorway and N roads and didn't dawdle when on the road.

That route seems like a lot - "co-pilots" may not be quite so enthused and may like a few days doing very little in the sun!

Sure take another week! You'll miss nothing here..

For what it's worth, we had 2 & 1/2 weeks in France last year. We took in a bit of the Loire valley (an overnight TBH), 3 nights around the Puy-de-Dome & Auvergne before spending 5 nights in around Provence. After that it was Lyon (2 nights), Annecy (2nights) before taking in a few overnights at various locations on the way back to Cherbourg. We used a mixture of motorway and N roads and didn't dawdle when on the road.

That route seems like a lot - "co-pilots" may not be quite so enthused and may like a few days doing very little in the sun!

Sure take another week! You'll miss nothing here..

Good to have this kind of info. I have a suspicion that our route is too much so we may have to cut out a section of it. I'll report back here for posterity:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi Bluethunder. Sounds like quite a lot to take in to me. Was away for nearly 5 weeks ourselves last year. Route was (roughly) Cherbourg->Loire Valley->Clermont Ferrand->Le Puy en velay->Marseilles->Montpellier-> then through Dordogne towards La Rochelle and back up coast towards Cherbourg. Had 2 stints where we stayed put for 5 nights, but other than that it was pretty much 2 nights per campsite.

To do your route in that time-frame you'll be driving alot of the time - and when you've reached a destination, you'll probably feel obliged (in a good way!) to go and see the local tourist attractions / sights. Not much time (if any) for kicking back at all, as AutostratusEB suggested. Would be a pity to be rushing through nice areas, then maybe still run out of time at the end and miss out on more stuff you wanted to see. Would highly recommend coming up with a day-by-day plan before you go, being realistic about what you want to see and how much driving is reasonable to do per day. Its what we did, and even though its impossible to stick rigidly to it, it gives you an idea of whats possible. Try not to be too optimistic about how many miles you'll get done per day, experience has taught me you rarely achieve what you think you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi Bluethunder. Sounds like quite a lot to take in to me. Was away for nearly 5 weeks ourselves last year. Route was (roughly) Cherbourg->Loire Valley->Clermont Ferrand->Le Puy en velay->Marseilles->Montpellier-> then through Dordogne towards La Rochelle and back up coast towards Cherbourg. Had 2 stints where we stayed put for 5 nights, but other than that it was pretty much 2 nights per campsite.

To do your route in that time-frame you'll be driving alot of the time - and when you've reached a destination, you'll probably feel obliged (in a good way!) to go and see the local tourist attractions / sights. Not much time (if any) for kicking back at all, as AutostratusEB suggested. Would be a pity to be rushing through nice areas, then maybe still run out of time at the end and miss out on more stuff you wanted to see. Would highly recommend coming up with a day-by-day plan before you go, being realistic about what you want to see and how much driving is reasonable to do per day. Its what we did, and even though its impossible to stick rigidly to it, it gives you an idea of whats possible. Try not to be too optimistic about how many miles you'll get done per day, experience has taught me you rarely achieve what you think you will!

+1. And Le-Puy-en-Velay is definately worth an overnight.

kelbal wrote: »

Thanks, this kind of info is invaluable. Planning is part of the fun so we'll just freewheel and see how far we get. Both of us would be into a more active holiday i.e. hiking/cycling/surfing so kicking back will be kept to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Just make sure to enjoy it. We went for ten days last year and tried to get too much in. We enjoyed it but I was a bit stressed with the driving. I will go for 4/5 weeks or so next time and try not to be in such a rush. It is a lovely country.

We went

Cherbourg -> Granville (2 Nights) -> Saint Malo (1 Night) -> Rennes -> Nantes -> St Nazaire -> Pornic (2 Nights) -> Vannes -> Quimper (1 Night) -> Cote du Granite Rose -> Binic (1 Night) -> Caen -> St Aubin sur Mer (2 Nights) -> Bayeaux and back to Cherbourg.

We did this in 10 days but would have been more comfortable in 14 days.

Hope this helps?

Enjoy.

Advertisement