Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor picture on new telly

Options
  • 17-01-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I bought a new plasma from currys during their december sale.
    It is a samsung of some sort but it was fairly cheap considering and the guy told me it was an 'entry level', if that means anything.

I picked it out from the selection on the floor and while it was on the floor, the picture quality on it was brilliant. It was playing some pixar movie on a loop.
    The problem is that when I got it home and turned it on, the picture quality is not nearly as good. I am using the hdmi ports and everything but the picture quality is just not as good, and when I am watching tv it is even worse.

Have I been had or are these things not plug and play? Do I need some other piece of kit or configuration to boost the quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's your setup i.e. what are you feeding into the TV - Sky HD or UPD HD? You said you're using the HDMI port so I assume you've got HD TV. Have you tried to play a DVD or Blu-Ray disc?

Was the TV the only thing that you changed?

'Entry level' is marketing-speak for the cheapest model in the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Yeah when he was telling me about entry level, I thought that was what he meant.

I don't really have a 'set-up' for the tv, I sorta just plugged it in and turned it on. The dvd player and the xbox are on hdmi. The dvds seem ok but not nearly as good quality as I was watching on the shop floor.
    I mainly bought the plasma because he said it is the best for gaming but even with the hdmi, the xbox isn't giving a great picture.

Is it just because it was a cheap model? I mean the difference between the picture on the shop floor and the living room is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A good TV won't make a poor signal look better - just worse ! All the TV's on display in most stores are being fed with 1080p high definition source material. That's more than likely why you're not getting the same results.

I'm not familiar with the XBOX but is there a setup option to switch it to 1080i or p ? As for the DVD player, a HDMI connector will not improve the picture quality of the DVD. The resolution is SD (720 x 576) which when blown up to that size screen will look worse. Upscalers cannot change that. You can't create what isn't there to begin with.

Try a BluRay player at full definition and I'm pretty sure you'll get the picture you're expecting and that the TV is capable of.

Ken

Advertisement