Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curtailing Licking

Options
  • 17-01-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Rani has developed a licking habit that's starting to get irritating. She'll come over as soon as she sees us putting anything down, contorts her neck while you're rubbing her, will constantly fidget when she's on the couch until she can get your hand to hold it down and lick, she drives OH mad when he's wearing shorts by constantly licking his legs which isn't good since he has eczema, and she is a right pest after dinner wanting to lick any traces of food off our hands. When she licks she has a kind of 'zoned out' look in her eyes. She also sometimes licks at air.

We've decided to cut out all licking completely as it's getting irritating, and I'm starting to develop a real aversion to it (i.e. the feeling of it is starting to freak me out). Has anyone got any ideas or tips on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To stop dogs doing these sorts of things, you need to adopt a zero-tolerance policy. So, when she starts licking, you need to get up and walk away from her.. every time she does it!
    That said, I'd be slow to deprive her of the opportunity to lick, as it clearly brings her a lot of comfort! Do you know of other (non human) things she likes to lick? Pig's ears maybe? Or leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She loves pigs ears, but can demolish them in about 5 minutes. I don't know about her licking leather; she's pretty non destructive and stays away from shoes, bags and the like, but I'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

what breed is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I am actually allergic to dog licks and we had a poodle for many years and from she was young all I would say to her was "no licks" and pull my hand away and after hearing it forever and me pulling the hand away, she just stopped and knew not to give them! Mind you my current dog isn't quite getting it as yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My pup does this too and I hate it especially the feet feels so gross:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

kylith wrote: »
    She loves pigs ears, but can demolish them in about 5 minutes. I don't know about her licking leather; she's pretty non destructive and stays away from shoes, bags and the like, but I'll look into it.

How's about a goo-filled Kong? Or can you give her these things with Tegan (did I get the name right?!) about? If you can find something she can lick on, maybe reserve it for when she starts to lick you, and when you get up from her licking, give her the Kong, or whatever replacement you find?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

what breed is she?
    She's a cairn cross.
    DBB wrote: »
    How's about a goo-filled Kong? Or can you give her these things with Tegan (did I get the name right?!) about? If you can find something she can lick on, maybe reserve it for when she starts to lick you, and when you get up from her licking, give her the Kong, or whatever replacement you find?

well remembered on the name! They keep their distance when the other is chewing something. I might try nylabones or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

yep its disgusting, one minute they are licking their.... special place, and the next, licking your face lol.... not cool.

One thing you can, along with standing and leaving the room, is when your standing curl up your fingers into a fist, and cross your arms, with your fists in at each shoulder, Like an X. and say "Command word" like no licks, or stop. with your back turned to the dog, and looking up, as if it's going to rain. Hold the position for 15-30 seconds.

This will teach your dog that licking hands, face or anywhere else is a no no, and the fun will stop the second it does it.

You need to be immediate, calm, and in control, and above all patient, dogs will "Groom" their owners as a sign of affection, and chew up your stuff, because your the one they love the most. You just need to show the dog in no uncertain terms, that when it licks everyone starts to go away and ignore it.

Advertisement