Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutered dog humping

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hope I can get a bit of advice from you good people.

We took in a relatives dog last year, thought she was going into heat around 2 months ago and we agreed to get her spayed. Vet said to wait until the new year but she never actually went into heat, but went into heat about 2 weeks ago.

We have our own dog, a neutered male. Last weekend he started humping the female. On Friday they got tied together, again on Saturday and again yesterday morning and evening.

Is there any danger to letting this happen? He's definately neutered so there's not going to be any puppies but is there any health reasons that they shouldn't be doing this? It tends to happen when they're both out in the garden playing and the next thing I look out the window and they're stuck to each other.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why did you allow them to mate? Even though the dog is neutered, you really shouldnt have allowed this, you should have kept him away even if he is neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 redser2

andreac wrote: »
    Why did you allow them to mate? Even though the dog is neutered, you really shouldnt have allowed this, you should have kept him away even if he is neutered.

That's not what I asked.
    I asked if there were any health implications to it.

Just saying I shouldn't have allowed it isn't exactly constructive. I actually thought that because he was neutered he wouldn't get the urge? My understanding of neutering is that the dog doesn't go crazy to get at the female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have a bitch here that is spayed, but the vet missed a bit of tissue, so she gives off the scent, and acts like she is season. One of my male dogs, who is neutered tied with her last year, but injured himself very badly, he split his penis open and required stitches on it:eek::( I think that could have been because she wasn't fully in season, so your situation is probably different. But, if it was me, I would try to keep them apart.

Best of luck.

It's odd, she has been in heat for the past couple of weeks, and he hasn't batted an eyelid. Most of the day they're fine with each other, then on Friday morning they were out in the garden after their walk and just started at it and tied. It was a bit of a shock to myself and my husband but he knew not to separate them in case of injury.

Then they spent the rest of the day happily playing and resting but nothing more. This seems to be the pattern, they could be just sitting down snoozing, the next thing one want's to go out to the garden, the other follows and within 30 seconds they're at it again. My husband caught them trying a couple of times on Sunday as he was out in the garden and turned the hose on them so it kept them apart for the day. They aren't clamouring to get at each other most of the day, it's just the odd time with no pattern to it.

Trouble is, we have an open plan kitchen/sitting room, that's the only room the dogs are allowed in, and they sleep in the utility off this. If I locked one in the utility or out in the garden to keep them apart it would be a nightmare to try and manage them. I have two young kids that runs through the house leaving all doors open behind him so I can't see this working.

Females are in heat for approx 3 weeks, but they are only ready to be mated from day 9/10 onwards but that can vary. So thats why he wouldnt be interested for the whole time.

Please try and keep them separated. Have you no crates?

• Advertisement

Females are in heat for approx 3 weeks, but they are only ready to be mated from day 9/10 onwards but that can vary. So thats why he wouldnt be interested for the whole time.

Please try and keep them separated. Have you no crates?

No I don't have crates. Other than keeping one in the garden and one in the house I'm out of options. We're both at least two counties away from our families (and anyway I wouldn't send either dog to my husbands family, it's a farm with no proper boundaries for the dogs and they aren't allowed in the house:mad:)

I'll just have to try and keep them apart within the house for the next week or so. Typical, I'm heading away to the UK on Friday for the first girly weekend I've had in YEARS. I'll be more worried about the dogs than the kids:rolleyes:

When did she start her season? If you say shes a few weeks then she must be nearly over it now?
    When did you first notice her bleeding?

When did she start her season? If you say shes a few weeks then she must be nearly over it now?
    When did you first notice her bleeding?

Monday (Bank Hol) two weeks ago. Normally on the weekends we all go to the local forest and let the dogs off lead for a run about but because she was spotting blood we didn't let her off the lead. Definately wasn't spotting the day before as I would have seen it mopping the kitchen floor.

No there are no health issues. Just as long as they don't try and pull away too prematurely while tied both dogs should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Would you be able to put one into a kennell for the time your away, (hubby wont be as stressed either).

• Advertisement

Just spoke to himself about kennelling, he reckons he'll be able to manage them for the couple of days

Nothing happened today (so far!) a couple of attempts but stopped them and separated them before they got going.

Advertisement