Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crow - Unusual markings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Just to clarify for OP your pic is of a rook. (partially) brown rooks are not common, but not unheard of. I saw one around the ponds in Naas town about 2 or 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

when I tell people we dont have 'crows' the answer is usually what are those big black birds. We have some Carrion crows in the North but they are confined to the east coast and usually hang out with Hooded crows.

The resident Corvids / crow family in Ireland are

Rook - adults have large bills, bare white faces and baggy trousers. Current year young dont have white faces

Jackdaw - small, with grey eyes and a paler hood. Usually in pairs or small groups

Hooded crow - large black and grey that can and does hybridise with the Carrion crow

Raven - largest crow, large wedge shaped tail and usually heard before seen

Magpie - needs no introduction

Jay - a beautiful pink tinged pale brown bird. Found in woodland and increasingly coming to gardens that are close to woods

Chough - black crow with red feet and bill. Confined to coast where there are cliffs

Recently there were a couple of House crows, from India, in Cobh. Imagine a large crow that says "jack" like a Jackdaw

Mark

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

when I tell people we dont have 'crows' the answer is usually what are those big black birds. We have some Carrion crows in the North but they are confined to the east coast and usually hang out with Hooded crows.

The resident Corvids / crow family in Ireland are

Rook - adults have large bills, bare white faces and baggy trousers. Current year young dont have white faces

Jackdaw - small, with grey eyes and a paler hood. Usually in pairs or small groups

Hooded crow - large black and grey that can and does hybridise with the Carrion crow

Raven - largest crow, large wedge shaped tail and usually heard before seen

Magpie - needs no introduction

Jay - a beautiful pink tinged pale brown bird. Found in woodland and increasingly coming to gardens that are close to woods

Chough - black crow with red feet and bill. Confined to coast where there are cliffs

Recently there were a couple of House crows, from India, in Cobh. Imagine a large crow that says "jack" like a Jackdaw

Mark

thanks for the classification Mark, thats a great help, we have a lot of corvids here, there are often over 40 assorted in the garden, including hooded crows, and the others I now know are rooks:D Thanks jmkennedyie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BuachaillCrann

I think this is the rook referred to by JimKennedy.ie !

I took this really bad photo with a camera phone at the Naas ponds, probably a year or two ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement