Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A study of Majungasaurus' little arms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's nuts that they don't appear to even have claws on them. The only thing that makes sense in my mind is that they had become vestigial through lack of use and on the way out. Perhaps if the abelisaurs had survived beyond the Cretaceous they would have evolved into completely armless forms?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's nuts that they don't appear to even have claws on them. The only thing that makes sense in my mind is that they had become vestigial through lack of use and on the way out. Perhaps if the abelisaurs had survived beyond the Cretaceous they would have evolved into completely armless forms?

Perhaps... maybe just a pair of little spurs like those of pythons and boas today, to use during mating?

Such has been proposed of tyrannosaurs, but compared to abelisaurids the arms of tyrannosaurs were quite pronounced and useful looking. Even snake spurs have little claws on them though. In abelisaurs this does not even appear to be present.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Such has been proposed of tyrannosaurs, but compared to abelisaurids the arms of tyrannosaurs were quite pronounced and useful looking. Even snake spurs have little claws on them though. In abelisaurs this does not even appear to be present.

Right, but the claws in the snakes' spur is corneal; it's actually the remnants of the femur, not a real claw, so the same could have happened with abelisaurs had they lost their arms almost completely.

I'm thinking tyrannosaurs probably did use their claws like this, by the way- have you seen lizards mating? Lots of scratching going on.

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Right, but the claws in the snakes' spur is corneal; it's actually the remnants of the femur, not a real claw, so the same could have happened with abelisaurs had they lost their arms almost completely.

Hmm, possibly. If the hand section were to fuse
    kgjorlj.jpg
    a fairly decent 'scratching tool' could have potentially been developed.

• Advertisement

Hmm, possibly. If the hand section were to fuse
    kgjorlj.jpg
    a fairly decent 'scratching tool' could have potentially been developed.

Yeah... except that, like I said, they would need someone else to scratch their back XD

Short legs keep them low to the ground to make scratching easier - less distance to the ground if you fall off?

majungasaurus.jpg

Man, Todd Marshall got that one wrong:
    Majungasaurus02.jpg

Short legs keep them low to the ground to make scratching easier - less distance to the ground if you fall off?

majungasaurus.jpg

Man, Todd Marshall got that one wrong:
    Majungasaurus02.jpg

Long gone are the days in which we thought all dinosaurs looked a lot like their relatives; simple size and slight shape variations on the same model. Yet now they are starting to look as diverse and strange as mammals themselves :D

The new Majungasaurus version looks almost like a serpent on legs.

Even Q had longer legs, and he was a serpent!

QFront.jpg

Even Q had longer legs, and he was a serpent!

QFront.jpg

>.< Not much to do with the real Q. He never had any legs to begin with.

• Advertisement

quetzalcoatlldef1.jpg

quetzalcoatlldef1.jpg

Closer but still... I wonder where people got the idea that Quetzalcoatl had wings...he was more like a Chinese dragon. He was wingless yet able to fly anyways...

I think it's a case of trying to apply real world restrictions to a being that exists beyond the realms of our laws of physics.
    This is what he's meant to look like:
    Quetzalcoatl_telleriano.jpg

I think it's a case of trying to apply real world restrictions to a being that exists beyond the realms of our laws of physics.
    This is what he's meant to look like:
    Quetzalcoatl_telleriano.jpg

I think the original version is way cooler than the "restricted" ones. I mean, he is supossed to be a god that came from another world (the legend itselfs says so), not an earthly creature. It's either an alien being or from another dimension. There must always be a space for the supernatural, me thinks. :D

Advertisement