Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAT calculation on new car from UK

Options
  • 17-01-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Was just wondering if anybody knows how the VAT liability on a new car brought in from the UK is calculated. Specifically is it calculated as a percentage of the value you pay for the car in the UK or its book value on entry to Ireland.

Thanks,

Cavanman
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its surely the Irish percentage rate charged against the pre vat uk invoice price paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mickdw wrote: »
    Its surely the Irish percentage rate charged against the pre vat uk invoice price paid.

remember that VAT is also charged on the VRT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

I think its the other way round mate. VRT is calculated on the Value Added Tax price of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cavanman

Thanks for the info guys.

[Marcusm]
    Does that mean that the VRT cost shown on the VRT website is the less VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I should withdraw my comment. On new imported cars it seems the VAT is on the translated (into EUR) invoice price. If a dealer pre regs the car for you he may be required to charge VAT on the VRT but there is a work around. Apologies if my comment confused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement