Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP questions

Options
  • 16-01-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I hope some one can point me in the right direction, I feel like such a twit for even asking this!
    i'm preggers with my first baby, 24 weeks,
    anyway ... I attended my GP at 5 weeks and talked about combined care, she told me to ring the hospital and book my scan in the hospital which I did.
    The hospital then gave me two more appointments, the 20 week scan and another one then in Feb.
    That's all fine and so far I've had no complications, but I'm just wondering should I be seeing my GP as well?

An acquaintance of mine is pregnant too , different GP , same hospital and she seems to have the same appointments as me, is the GP only if I need extra appointments?

Please don't judge me :)

Thanks
    Cluelessss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Hi clueless. As far as I'm concerned no question is a stupid question so don't feel silly for asking.

Maybe each hospital/doctor is different. I was seen at 5 weeks in doctors surgery to confirm pregnancy. Then 12 week scan in hospital. The doc again at 15 weeks. Hospital booking in appointment at 18 weeks (still dunno what it was as it seemed same as all other appointments but whatever :) ). doctor at 24 weeks. And had 28 week hosp appt last week.

My next hospital one is start of march and I'll be 36 weeks then but they told me to attend my own doc every two weeks.

So basically I'm 29 +2 today and I've been seen six times so far. I'm attening Mayo general hosp. And to be honest I'm happy with my care. There if I need them and not obtrusive at all.

I also got a letter when I was about 7 weeks gone stating how often I should be going and where. This was from the hse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Not a stupid question at all, it seems to vary from hospital to hospital so it's hard to keep track sometimes!

When I attend my appointments in hospital, they tell me to come back to them in say 8 weeks and to attend my GP in 4 weeks.
    You're only a few weeks behind me (I'm 26ish weeks) and I was at my GP 4 weeks ago, hospital today and back to gp in 4 weeks, hospital 8 weeks.
    At this stage I think you should be seeing your gp in between hospital appointments.
    They're normally quick enough appts, just check your urine, weight, blood pressure and possibly blood tests (although I think these are more commonly done in hospital).

It might be no harm giving your gp a quick call just to confirm if you should be attending there soon.
    The hospital give you your appointments, whereas with your gp the onus is more on you to make the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I agree with Capracillious. You are entitled to be seen once a month by either your gp or the hospital then at some stage that changes to every 2 weeks and then every week. The list of weeks should be on your combined care card.

Saying that if you feel fine you don't have go to the gp between hospital visits. I had a baby 0n 15th Jan and my gp's surgery is up a steep hill so with the snow I didn't go to her every week towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zombot

I'm similar to the previous posts, I am 22 weeks, I saw my GP first at around 6 weeks, then a hospital appt/scan at 13 weeks, and I have been seeing my GP every four weeks since then. He checks BP, urine and baby's heartbeat which is fantastic!
    I hadn't a clue about the whole process either, I'm just figuring it all out as I go along thanks to advice and guidance from my GP so I'd say the best thing for you to do is make an appt and go have a chat... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I had my baby last year and also got confused about GP visits etc. Remember to keep one of the visits for your post-natal check-up to make sure all your bits are intact.

Good Luck with your pregnancies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement