Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Card Denied

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi, I am planning on going to Australia and Dubai for a month travelling and I need to get a visa card for booking flights and hotels abroad.

I work full time and have a decent salary for the past 18 months but AIB keep rejecting my application for the Visa Click and Visa Be credit cards.

I rang them up and they updated my details and increased my annual salary records and said to apply again that there should be no problem.

I applied online again shortly afterwards but was rejected again on both. The updated salary and working details were below the rejection message.

I need to get this Credit Card ASAP, I work 8-6 and am unable to take time off to go into a branch and of course they arent open on Saturdays. My only real option would be to switch banks completely as Ulster Bank issue Visa Debit cards but this is more time consuming and would also mean I need to go into AIB to close account.

Does anyone know why AIB keep rejecting me a Visa card as I meet all the criteria they stated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

couple of points on what you said above:

- you can close your aib account by post.
    - you could try a prepay mastercard from moneybookers which can be topped up instantly by laser from your aib account.
    - you could try calling your branch rather than the direct banking guys to see if they can do anything about the card for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I don't think you have to be a member of a particular bank to apply for a credit card.

http://www.mbna.ie/choose-credit-card/

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

You can open an account with UB without closing your AIB account. No need to switch anything, use online banking to transfer funds from AIB to UB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭Tow

As before, you can get a credit card from any bank, you don't need to close/open accounts etc.

CC Companies have a complex scoring system, the more you apply and are refused the more negative points you score. They don't like to say how they score you, but past financial history, salary, type of job, length of time in current job, length of time at current address and in the UK the debts from others at the same address and even at one stage the number syllables in you surname (in an attempt to filter out certain nationalities) can score against you.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 froo

I'm having this problem too, it's so frustrating!
    I'm going to America in a few months and only want a credit card for peace of mind/emergency. I have my flights and accomodation organised so I'm not worried about that, chances are I won't even use it.
    I've been told to try a prepaid credit card, but am worried it won't be accepted everywhere. (I used to work in car rental and we couldn't accept them, i never understood it tbh)

• Advertisement

froo wrote: »
    I'm having this problem too, it's so frustrating!
    I'm going to America in a few months and only want a credit card for peace of mind/emergency. I have my flights and accomodation organised so I'm not worried about that, chances are I won't even use it.
    I've been told to try a prepaid credit card, but am worried it won't be accepted everywhere. (I used to work in car rental and we couldn't accept them, i never understood it tbh)

Like the OP said, you can open an account with Ulster Bank -- or, alternatively, Permanent TSB. Both come with VISA debit cards, which should work wherever a VISA credit card is accepted. You are allowed to have accounts with as many banks as you want, so there's no need to "switch" from your current bank. While you're away, use online banking if you need to transfer funds to your new account, alternatively do so before you go. When you return to Ireland, close the account.

When travelling outside of the country, it would always be recommended to carry at least two payment cards -- one could stop working for whatever reason. Also note that the US will still mainly use the magnetic strip part of your card, and not the chip that has largely replaced it here in Ireland. As a result you won't necessarily know before you go whether the magnetic strip will actually work...

Car hire companies reserve a significant amount upfront. Your available balance will be reduced by that amount for the duration of the rental (+ a few days for the reserved amount to clear), which is a reason why debit and pre-paid cards are not recommended for car hire (it doesn't really explain why the company wouldn't want to accept them though).

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

U ever consider one of those o2 credit cards where u top up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Hi
    U should try go into your branch and see applying through there applying online picks up things like salary, being overdrawn, missing payment eg direct debits
    Also the people in the call centres our not the lenders MBna interest rates are high
    Good luck enjoy ur travels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

hognef wrote: »
    Like the OP said, you can open an account with Ulster Bank -- or, alternatively, Permanent TSB. Both come with VISA debit cards, which should work wherever a VISA credit card is accepted. You are allowed to have accounts with as many banks as you want, so there's no need to "switch" from your current bank. While you're away, use online banking if you need to transfer funds to your new account, alternatively do so before you go. When you return to Ireland, close the account.

When travelling outside of the country, it would always be recommended to carry at least two payment cards -- one could stop working for whatever reason. Also note that the US will still mainly use the magnetic strip part of your card, and not the chip that has largely replaced it here in Ireland. As a result you won't necessarily know before you go whether the magnetic strip will actually work...

Car hire companies reserve a significant amount upfront. Your available balance will be reduced by that amount for the duration of the rental (+ a few days for the reserved amount to clear), which is a reason why debit and pre-paid cards are not recommended for car hire (it doesn't really explain why the company wouldn't want to accept them though).

I don't think debit cards have the ability to "reserve" amounts upfront which is why they are rarely used for hotel check in guarantee or for car rentals.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I don't think debit cards have the ability to "reserve" amounts upfront which is why they are rarely used for hotel check in guarantee or for car rentals.

This would appear to depend on the type of debit card (from AVIS UK):

http://www.avis.co.uk/blog/information-on-accepted-credit-cards/

"The cards we do not accept are Visa Electron, Solo, Switch and Maestro."

"[...] we do accept Visa debit cards in most countries, as their processing rules are the same as Visa credit cards"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Marcusm wrote: »

They can - with unfortunate consequences if the hotel doesn't cancel the pre-authorisation...

Advertisement