Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cordless drills

Options
  • 16-01-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

dont if this is the right place to post this..
    need to buy a hand cordless drill soon.
    what make would be recommend.not doing any heavy work and wont be used that often but want to be it right all the same.
    thinking about 14v Dewalt
    18v Hitachi
    makita
    what ppl recommend..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Moved here from Home Entertainment Fourms

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I have a panonsonic set of drills. Best drill I have ever used. They are 14.4v 3.1amp batteries. It's a cordless drill and a seperate impact driver. Cost me €450 but was the best money iv ever spent on cordless drills

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bountyhunter87

the makita id say is the best value for money. think its around 100 euro in b and q 18v, 2 batteries and the option of a bit set for a extra few bob .
    i dont rate the dewalt at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i bought the makita 18v + 2 batteries plus acc.kit with loads in it..think i paid 130 for it a couple of years back but that was a serious low price for it..think i seen it recently for 159 or something
    get as high a volt one as you can with hammer action if possible as you never know when youre going to need the extra bit of grunt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

the makita id say is the best value for money. think its around 100 euro in b and q 18v, 2 batteries and the option of a bit set for a extra few bob .
    i dont rate the dewalt at all

Is that price in Euro?

Its 99 sterling at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

i bought the makita 18v + 2 batteries plus acc.kit with loads in it..think i paid 130 for it a couple of years back but that was a serious low price for it..think i seen it recently for 159 or something

Yeah, I got one of those a couple of years ago and it's good.
    get as high a volt one as you can with hammer action if possible as you never know when youre going to need the extra bit of grunt

Before the Makita, I had a green Bosch 24V drill with hammer action, very heavy, much more tiring to use (laying a subfloor I had to put in 600 screws) and the hammer action wasn't up to much. Drill was scrap in less than 3 years of DIY use. It couldn't cope with hard masonry anyway, got a corded Makita SDS drill in B&Q for about €120 (including 15 SDS bits) which flies through anything. Better IMHO to get 2 tools that do two jobs well, than one tool which does both but less well.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

I have a panonsonic set of drills. Best drill I have ever used. They are 14.4v 3.1amp batteries. It's a cordless drill and a seperate impact driver. Cost me €450 but was the best money iv ever spent on cordless drills

I have the same set, best drills that i'v had over the last few yrs have them 2yrs now and there still flyin, Panasonic all the way have had the dewalt etc but they dont come close to these in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

toshy321 wrote: »

I have the same set, best drills that i'v had over the last few yrs have them 2yrs now and there still flyin, Panasonic all the way have had the dewalt etc but they dont come close to these in my opinion.

I was told by a rep that Panasonic make the inside of the makita drill but put way better parts into their own drills! The clip on the side of Panasonic drills are also a brilliant feature when your on ladders or scaffold or when hanging doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

ninja900 wrote: »
    Better IMHO to get 2 tools that do two jobs well, than one tool which does both but less well.

I'm only a DIY user but I'd agree wholeheartedly with the above- I have 3 cordless drill/ drivers (1x Makita, 2x Dewalt- one of these has hammer action which I do not use). I bought a pro SDS drill- Bosch GBH 226 DRE (I think this was the model number) for heavy masonry drilling and light chipping. Great buy and comes with extra interchangeable standard 3 jaw chuck for use when drilling metal or wood with standard bits. I reserve the Bosch for heavy duty drilling and keep my 12 volt cordless tools for lighter duty drilling and screwing. I don't think I'd ever buy a heavy duty 24 volt cordless SDS drill- I wouldn't have the work for it, the good ones are expensive and the batteries would probably die from lack of regular use as much as anything. A top quality corded tool will last for years if not abused. I know some people swear by cheap Lidl/ Aldi cordless drills on a value for money basis but I'd always rather pay a little more for a pro rated tool- they will last much longer and are better value in the long run. There are some great bargains on new power tools on the net, especially from some of the UK suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Considering your only going to be using the drill occasionally i'd recommend something like this OP, I've no experience with that particular model but i've always found Bosch to be good.

For a few euro more these are a fantastic drill, i had one up until recently and it served me very well considering the amount of use and abuse drills get daily on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

sideways83 wrote: »
    dont if this is the right place to post this..
    need to buy a hand cordless drill soon.
    what make would be recommend.not doing any heavy work and wont be used that often but want to be it right all the same.
    thinking about 14v Dewalt
    18v Hitachi
    makita
    what ppl recommend..

Buy a Milwaukee mate top quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Not sure if the Op is still looking but Chadwicks have an offer at the moment for an AEG drill with a bit set and toolbox for €89 which seems good value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dan1994

tommycahir wrote: »
    Not sure if the Op is still looking but Chadwicks have an offer at the moment for an AEG drill with a bit set and toolbox for €89 which seems good value to me.

Seen that is down to €70 now

Advertisement