Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 weeks pregnant & going out of my mind

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I am 26 weeks pregnant...I have a 7 year old so this pregnancy thing is something I thought I would be well switched on to, even with such a gap between pregnancies...my first was so nice and easy and happy and even though I had some problems they didn't bother me (kidney infection, heartburn like you wouldnt believe & pre-eclampsia to top off the end of the pregnancy...but I wasn't phased by any of this)

This time round everything is so much different, I hate to admit it but I am hating it! (*feels terrible for saying that*)

I am not eating enough...I now manage my Pregnacare vitamin & omega capsule every day thankfully (since about 16 weeks, before that I only managed the folic acid pill)...but other than that my daily food intake is usually 2 cheese sandwiches, a banana, natural yoghurt with fruit, maybe some squares of choc...and thats it...I keep reading guides on what my food intake should be for growing baby & I just cant manage it...

I have to work hard to drink enough water/fluids for a day...a glass of water makes me feel like I've eaten a four course meal...trying to balance that with eating food feels like agony...is this normal!!!???

At this stage in my 1st pregnancy I was loving all food and plenty of it, felt great!

I was extremely ill for my 1st trimester on this pregnancy, lost 2 stone & was on bed rest for 10 weeks, ate a slice of toast a day...but as I got to 14 weeks that nausea went away (thank god!)...but the appetite hasn't returned at all.

Just worried this is not enough food to grow a healthy baby...oh and I don't exercise at all...even climbing the stairs knocks the energy out of me...so that cant be good for baby either

Has anyone else experienced a pregnancy like this & had healthy happy baby? I am worried about the labour & breastfeeding etc now as I have no energy & no appetite...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I worked with a girl who puked solid for 5 months of her pregnancy, she was managin to eat maybe a slice of toast, couple dry biscuits, maybe able to keep down a glass of milk and her vitamins....she got so thin and was just this tiny person with a bump, bump never even got that big.

Roll on and she had a beautiful 9lb baby girl, flipping massive she was! Nobody could believe it!

As my sister said, your baby is a parasite, itll take everything ya have to keep itself going (lovely i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and have hyperemesis: what your eating in a day I wasn't able to eat some weeks in my first trimester (or up untill Friday actually). I'd lost 19pounds. I still can't manage ANY dairy products. Your baby is a "parasite" as my consultant keeps telling me its taking everything it needs: it's you that will suffer. So don't worry in that regard: you are eating now and baby will take what it wants. If your doc was in ANY way worried they would bring you in and put you on drips etc.

I met a couple of other women in hosp who were that sick the majority of not the entire way through their first (and second) pregnancies: they all had perfect normal babies... One girl had a 9 year old, a 3 year old and she breastfed both: she said once baby came out she got her appetite back and within 2 days all her energy was back too.

On hating it: why on earth wouldn't you? I hate it. I love that I AM pregnant, I love that I'll have a baby in a few months, I hate this nausea and vomiting. I'm exhausted. I hate that I can't drive and I have to rely on everyone to do practically everything for me... Hating something that makes you feel like crap all the time is totally normal.

Just focus on the baby you'll have in your arms in a few months :) because when your this sick it is so hard and difficult to keep your chin up: their are days where I do just cry because I'm so sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

As for whether your appetite (or lack thereof) is normal, I can only tell you that I am experiencing something similar.
    I am only just now getting an appetite, but a couple of weeks ago I couldn't drink a glass of water without feeling as if I had eaten a horse.

I can't exercise at all, walking to the kitchen leaves me out of breath. Can't tell you how my baby will turn out - I am still waiting to see :)
    But from what I hear, other people experiencing similar issues have had healthy and happy babies.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

I agree with the parasite theory, my friend vomited nearly everything she ate for 7 solid months and was in hospital on a drip 3 times. She has a gorgeous, intelligent 8 year old girl now to show for it and two younger kids. She said that after giving birth it was like someone had flicked the nausia switch off and she was herself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, between 20-30weeks i felt similar to what you descibe, apart from the vomiting. Small amounts of food made me feel as if id just eaten 2 christmas dinners. Walking even a couple of feet would have me worn out and my belly would feel like if just done 100 situps. But i discussed it wuth my midwife and doc and they said it was normal to feel like that espcially at that stage of pregnancy as the baby is going through a huge growth stage so therefore your energy levels are down etc. Anyway after 30 weeks i felt fine. Was eating, going for walks etc no problem. Hopefully you will feel better soon, and just keep your doctor informed on how your feeling , but if they were concerned they would have admitted you to hospital so dont worry.
    Take care.
    Btw, my baby was perfect when born and continues to thrive at 7 months, as im sure yours will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

hey hopw you feel better soon. When i was preggers on my first i was sick through out the pregancey. Was in and out of the hospital so much i should have had my own cup. Seriously it was awful at the time. I lost about 2 stone and i am fairly small to begin with. anyway the happy part of this story is i gave birth to a very healthy 7lb baby girl who i breastfed for 6 months. baby takes everything form you so dont be getting into a state. i know that is very easy for me to say now. at the time i was freaking out because everyone was commenting on how small my bump was- Little bump is now a very tall 3 year old.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Ah you poor thing. I had a textbook 1st pregnancy and then 5 years later got pregnant with number 2. Puked for 6 1/2 months solid,was so bad i tore the lining on my throat,i not only didn't put on weight,i lost it! Then for the last 3 months of pregnancy i had acid in my throat so badly that i had to sleep sitting up and only ate bland food. I ended up having a v healthy 9lb 5 oz baby :D On no.3 now and nothing like number 2 was ,all three pregnancies were/are boys so you never know how things will go. Best of luck with the last few months,it'll be over soon and you'll be back to normal with a little bundle safely in your arms :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

Thanks everyone for the advice, I don't feel so lost and alone when I hear its common and healthy happy babies came from such nightmare pregnancies!

I went to doc and got her to do blood tests, she said she'd check for everything....got a call the next day to say my thyroid levels are very low so I am to go on Eltroxin for that...then a call from her the next day saying she had got more results of the bloods & I am severely anaemic...so I am to go on Galfer for that...I'm so pissed about this, Galfer made me so sick when I took it years ago for anaemia so I'm scared of going back to feeling so nauseous again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

angelll wrote: »
    Ah you poor thing. I had a textbook 1st pregnancy and then 5 years later got pregnant with number 2. Puked for 6 1/2 months solid,was so bad i tore the lining on my throat,i not only didn't put on weight,i lost it! Then for the last 3 months of pregnancy i had acid in my throat so badly that i had to sleep sitting up and only ate bland food. I ended up having a v healthy 9lb 5 oz baby :D On no.3 now and nothing like number 2 was ,all three pregnancies were/are boys so you never know how things will go. Best of luck with the last few months,it'll be over soon and you'll be back to normal with a little bundle safely in your arms :)

Angelll you are so brave! I am thankful my 2nd pregnancy is the harder one, if it were like this on my first I know my daughter would be an only child!! And thats mad all your three are boys as so many people have said to me that this time it must be a boy for me as my pregnancy is so different. I have tried to find out the sex but baby in bad position each time....have to wait until mid Feb. for next scan so I hope to find out then, give me something else to concentrate on! :) Good luck!

Advertisement