Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma and scented candles

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭

Long time asthmatic and I have been using Seretide for the past 2 or 3 years and I am really happy with it. However, the past few weeks my chest has been really tight and uncomfortable. I don't have an infection but just feel crap. My husband reckons it's all the Yankee candles I have been burning in the house since Christmas. Any other asthmatics noticed that they have a reaction to strong smelling candles ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I would def fiind they impact,was wheezy over the holidays anytime they were lit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

I've asthma and lots of allergys linked to it, and have come to the point where I avoid all things smelly ! From perfumes, aerosols, smelly candles and the like....
    makes for a happy healthier me ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

What is it with this fad of burning poisonous chemicals in ones house??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

What is it with this fad of burning poisonous chemicals in ones house??

The Yankee Candle Winter Berry collection doesn't sound so enticing when you put it like that :D.
    My OH HATES smelly candles, he reckons the chemicals (AKA delicate fragrances) are nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Yep sometimes I can have a reaction to car air fresheners, not to the Yankee candles so far or to some perfumes in enclosed spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Anyone find the same problem with essential oils, or even find burning them helps??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

OP - stop burning them for a few weeks and see if your health improves - i'm asthmatic myself and i can't abide those things - they have me barking and spluttering in a matter of seconds....

I heard someone on the radio saying that a real Christmas tree made her Asthma worse,It took her a few days to work out why she had become so bad all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Well I put the candles away in the press after Christmas and my asthma has definitely improved. No more dry cough or tightness, feeling much better. The OH is delighted, no more nauseating candles. My sister is chuffed too because I gave her all my candles.

Advertisement