Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveying Dissertation on Ghost Estates

• 16-01-2012 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All,

At the moment I am a fourth year student in the process of doing my Disseration. What my plan is to show if it is cost effective for Local Authorities or Housing Associations to buy these estates (with all there different states of completion status). Then to complete these estates and use them as social housing or part ownership.

Here is where my problem starts, firstly do you all beleive there is a diseration in this topic and secondly if there is a diseration, the problem is with my secondary research (literature review) what should I include or not. What avenues do you think I should go in ?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Have you seen this paper from NIRSA;

http://www.nuim.ie/nirsa/research/documents/WP59-A-Haunted-Landscape.pdf

Some work has been done using geodirectory (reported in paper) but I'm not sure how much work exists at local level. You could try a broad search through google/google scholar, then maybe the academic search engines? Try searching for studies of social housing policy in other countries - you might find some similarities to compare the Irish cases against?

Is this an undergraduate thesis? If so, you shouldn't be too concerned with originality - in any event, the sites and scale of your study will likely differ from existing research, so there is always an original angle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dessie.d

Cheers Efla,
    Already got that report downloaded, printed and high lighted. I also got the report ' Resolving Irelands's unfinished housing developments' and quite a few more just putting it out there to see if I missed something and to get views if it is a worth while Dissertation.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pat702

I completed a dissertation on the above topic in DIT in 2011, think I got bout 70% but as I was working fulltime I pulled it together in a few weekends.

Talked about the financial crisis, why we were left with these ghost estates, failure of planning authorities to regulate and ease of cheap credit to developers, all the background info was on the net and since then numerous reports have been carried out by Government bodies which would be of interest to you - environ.ie is the job for Government related stuff, i also researched organisations like Respond Housing Association who provide social and affordable housing to see what the current set up is!! In the end I had too much info, I think my one was 12,000 words!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dessie.d

Well Pat,
    Thanks for the reply, just wondering can you send me on the title of of your Dissertation, so I can check it out, going along the same line as you just not going into the finanical side as deep keeping it mainly on the problem solving not how the problem started. What were you studying was it Quantity Surveying or Property, I'm in the same boat as yourself trying to hold a full time job as well getting tough at this stage in the year its all piling up, but only three months left.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 padawan

I,m a QS student researching my 'Ghost Estate' topic for my dissertation. Was just wondering does anyone know of any successfully redeveloped estates anywhere which I could use as a case study?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement