Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest.... but what kind?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

Hard to see clearly from these photo's, but is this a wasp nest?

See attached pics!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hard to see, but it looks more like a swallows next to me or is it too early?
    col278.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Def Swallows, they same family will nest there every year unless you take them down before they come back in Spring. They can hatch out two different fledgings in the one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

House Martins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

+1 on house martins, we get them every year too. At one stage we'd at least 3 nests on the house.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It depends on what its made from if it is made of clay then swallows/martins but if it is made from a papery material then its a wasps nest....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention earlier but there was a large wasp found buzzing around in one of the top level bedrooms last week.. (before the nests were noticed). There is also a very similiar nest, but one fifth the size on the side of the house. I cant really tell what its made out of from ground level, will have to have a closer look!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I had a swallows nest in my parents summer house and it was nothing like the ones in the picture, then again, that was in Spain, maybe swallows there use diff material/buliding techniques? ;)

However, what you'd have noticed if it was a birds nest is a huge amount of droppings on the floor below the nest.. i'd say that's how you'll really be able to tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would have thought wasps? Horrible things! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

We get these on our house every year. Seem to be housemartins. They are quite ingenious and built in no time! :D

Apparently its illegal to remove them from your property once they are complete.

They are harmless I suppose but do make quite a mess of the window sills and garden!

If they hatch early enough they will hatch a second time and they usually leave around September. In my experience though, they dont arrive until March/April....

Advertisement