Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best value credit card for balance transfer of approx. 5k?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

my new year's resolution is to get myself debt free, so i'm looking to find the best value credit card to transfer the balance of around 5k on my current BOI Platinum Advantage card so i can finally get it paid off.

is there anyone doing 0% balance transfers at the moment that might be worth a look as it's pretty hard to get the principle down on the BOI one with such a large amount with a high interest rate.

my plan will be to move the balance to somewhere that will give me at least 6 months (if not longer, ideally 12 months as i can probably afford to pay off €500 per month to get the balance down quickly, but i don't know if anyone does that these days) at 0% and just cut the card up when it arrives to avoid temptation.

then i can swap the platinum BOI card to their lowest interest one with a much smaller limit of say €500, so i still have a credit facility for online shopping and booking flights etc, but not one that's going to cripple me with interest on an unpaid balance and can be paid off every month if and when it gets used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Just from a quick look Tesco are doing 0% balance transfers for 6 months.

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/visacards/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

chris85 wrote: »
    Just from a quick look Tesco are doing 0% balance transfers for 6 months.

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/visacards/
    thanks. I've looked at a few I could think of off the top of my head, but tesco hadn't even occurred to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You can compare them on the NCA website. Tesco seem to be the best though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thanks for the suggestion, but my wife has a credit card with MBNA and they are without a doubt the worst company (of any kind) either of us have ever dealt with, and trust me there's a laundry list of terrible companies in there between us, so it's a high accolade.

it looks like tesco might be the one to go for, although with the intention being paying off the card and not using it, depending on how long it takes me to actually pay it off, i might be better off just going with one of the sub-4% for 12 months cards although my limited mathematics skills don't permit me to actually work out how much i'd need to pay off for one to be better value than the other. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dealdish

guys this is probably a dumb question but can i change to a zero % balance transfer card if im unemployed even though i have great credit history.i have 6000 on mbna card and pay 150 week minimum but wud love to get balance transfer.i tried filling out tesco application online but they want salary details.anyone no a phone number for card department:(:(

Advertisement