Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Eng. 2nd Yr Mature Student

Options
  • 16-01-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Heys guys,

Im looking into entry to 2nd year of Mech. Eng. as a mature student, 2 yrs done in sligo a few yrs ago. Im not working at the moment so Im looking at just going over some of the subjects and topicS from first yr, as in the topics covered in the maths 1+2 and mechanics 1+2 and Fluids, just to get back into the swing of it. Anyone who's doing or has done the course any advice or someone that might have also went back as a mature student got any advice?

Cheers

Dec.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Any Mech Eng students on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

DJW11 wrote: »
    Any Mech Eng students on here?

UL is just back this week so my guess is no current mech students have gone on recently.

First semester
    MA4001 Engineering Maths 1 - leaving cert maths
    ME4111 Engineering Mechanics 1 - leaving cert physics
    CH4001 Chemistry for Engineers - leaving cert chemistry
    ME4611 Computing - MATLAB, a computer language. You won't need it again unless you do an fyp/post grad that uses it. In industry you will probably get training in matlab if you need it for coop. To get on really well in the module, if you are familar with the tutorial here or if you can do tutorial 1-12 located here
    EE4001 Electrical Engineering 1 - you do a recap of everything learnt here in electrical engineering 2, again leaving cert physics will pass/B range you in this
    ME4001 Intro to Engineering 1 - You will pick this up from solids, as you are dealing with manipulating mm to m and other such material. the lecturer (Walter Stanley) will tell you how many you people you killed and he will tell that to everyone in the class so don't worry about that. Also shows you how to reference but class mates can show you that if you are truely stuck

Second Semester

MA4002 Engineering Maths 2 - bit more then leaving cert but I think this was reused in different modules but explained with an application behind it rather then being purely theoretical.
    ME4112 Engineering Mechanics 2 - won't need this until vibrations and you'll learn whatever you need again. it's leaving cert physics and applied maths plus a litte more
    ME4412 Fluid Mechanics 1 - No one learned anything from this.
    PE4112 Production Technology - How to use workshop machinery (which I'm guessing you learnt in sligo? (also you won't be using those machines again anyway)) and make drawings. You use CAD in year 2 so you never really hand draw things again...
    ME4002 Intro to Engineering 2 - They do a project to help the 3rd world which involves googling home made projects for the 3rd world and copy paste. Have a quick google and you've done the module. They also do one practise presentation that nobody learns anything from.

Tbh I think you would have a link in semester anyway which brings you up to speed (well mostly up to speed) with the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Thanks reunion, much appreciated. I forgot about students not been back all at once. Its pretty much like how I expected, just trying to get back into looking at the math and solving probs with it, youd be surprised how much you forget when youve havent been in contact with it for a few years :).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Theres a maths learning centre & Extra maths tutorials for mature students too;)

Advertisement