Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaniel walking in its own errr 'Do-Do'

Options
  • 16-01-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Have a little Cocker pup who is about 9 months old now. I've had dogs all through my life and they generally have an uncanny ability to walk around their own dirt.

This dog just walks/runs in it constantly. Not deliberatly, accidentally, but its hardly hygenic and makes it much harder to lift their poo when its all walked in.

Is this normal? Puppy thing? Anything that can be done?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

With my first pup (a male) he never had an issue with erm, well, stepping in his own mess :rolleyes:

My second pup (female) would do it - not every time - but often enough that ... well ... lets be honest - even once is too much! So I can't say if this is a tried and tested method for dealing with it - but it worked for us. As she'd move into position and start doing her dirty business I'd slowly move so that I was facing her (if she wasn't facing me already) and when she'd be nearly finished I'd start calling her softly - not sharp enough to make her stop or come over - just focus on me - and then when she'd finish I'd start singing her praises 1) for doing dirty business out side and it would also propel her towards me instead of backwards into her own doggy dirt. And eventually she broke the practice of moving backwards and into it and instead would be moving forwards. Again - I'm sure this isn't tried and tested - but it did work for us.

Now that she's over a year old - we haven't had any issues with this happening in a long while. Now she carefully spins and does her "Rockettes" dance (you know the dance everyone does to New York New York, kicking the left leg out, then the right leg out) - and yes - its hilarious - and yes - its bizarre but hey - she's got a poo style all her own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I dont think she moves backwards into it after doing it, but just as she walks around or runs around during the day, she constantly walks in it.

Wish I was there to pick it up during the day, Its dark going to/from work at the moment, no exterior light and a dark ground means I cant really pick it up at night :(

Advertisement