Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT jobs in Sweden

Options
  • 16-01-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am Irish living in Sweden. I just want to give any Irish IT professionals out there the headsup on IT jobs here. There is huge shortage of suitably qualified people. My husband (a software developer) was telling me that there are 4000+ IT vaccanies here. Naturally employers prefer Swedish speakers but because of the extreme shortage there are many IT jobs open to English speakers.

If you are interested do some googling.

Also check: http://www.thelocal.se/jobs/?category[0]=660&country[0]=190

I will point out however that you should secure your position before you move.

Many employers will help you find accommodation and help with travel expenses.

Sweden is a great country to live and work in.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Hi!

I've been interested in Sweden for the last two years. I'm not in IT but in mechanical engineering. Is the quality of life good there? Is good Swedish essential for day to day working?

Other than that, how do you find Sweden? are people friendly? Things to do etc?

Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

I think the standard of living here is very good. In my experience the quality of housing is better because of proper building standards. Taxes are high but if you live here for a while you eventually get value for it. It's much cheaper to visit a doctor and there's a good health service to back it up.
    If you have a family then that's when you really benefit. I think it's 420 days of paid parental leave per child. That can be taken any time before the child is 8 years old and can be divided between the parents as suits your family best.
    There are plenty of Irish bars where you'll meet other expats etc..
    But there is always a downside. For instance, I miss seeing my family in Ireland. The winters here are long, cold and dark. But I'm still happy I moved here.
    There are free state funded Swedish lessons (sfi) for all immigrants. There is also paid tuition options. In the meantime practically everyone speaks English to a high standard.
    I don't know anything about the job situation in your area of expertise. But you could use google translate and research companies you would like to work for. The goldenpages equivalent is eniro.se so you could find companies that way. Tyda.se is a good online dictionary.
    I know a lot of expats get started off in the workforce here doing barwork in the many expat bars (in the major cities). Few of them have any bar experience. From there they keep trying until they break into their professional field here. Unless there is a skills shortage it can be hard to get your first "proper" job. But if you have the right attitude you'll get your break.
    In my experience Irish people are well recieved.
    There is a Swedish-Irish Society which I keep meaning to join myself!
    Overall, I'd say that if learning a new language doesn't scare you then Sweden is a good country to move to.

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Lifestyle/Reading/20-things-to-know-before-moving-to-Sweden/

This website has lots of useful info about moving to Sweden...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hi!

I've been interested in Sweden for the last two years. I'm not in IT but in mechanical engineering. Is the quality of life good there? Is good Swedish essential for day to day working?

Other than that, how do you find Sweden? are people friendly? Things to do etc?

Thanks,
    Dave

Norway would have a large amount of engineering jobs due to their huge oil and shipping industries, have a look here http://www.thelocal.no/page/view/jobs

English is also fluently spoken by Norwegians. But the oil & shipping industries like to have such a high standard of English that it would make things easier for starting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Hi,

Just wondering is there many opportunities for graduates / entry level in IT in Sweden at the moment would you know?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just wondering is there many opportunities for graduates / entry level in IT in Sweden at the moment would you know?

Yes, I believe so. Have a look on thelocal.se jobs section. The forum there is also helpful for people wishing to move here. Lots of info in past posts. You'll find info on where to check salary expectations etc.. Salaries are usually quoted in monthly rather than annual amounts. Taxes are higher than Ireland so be conscious of how much you'll actually be left with. Employers also pay into a pension so there are perks aside from the salary quoted.

Even if job descriptions say they want experienced people, you may still stand a chance as many companies are crying out for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Cicilulu wrote: »
    Yes, I believe so. Have a look on thelocal.se jobs section. The forum there is also helpful for people wishing to move here. Lots of info in past posts. You'll find info on where to check salary expectations etc.. Salaries are usually quoted in monthly rather than annual amounts. Taxes are higher than Ireland so be conscious of how much you'll actually be left with. Employers also pay into a pension so there are perks aside from the salary quoted.

Even if job descriptions say they want experienced people, you may still stand a chance as many companies are crying out for people.

Great, thanks for the info!

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

I moved from Ireland to Sweden 2 years ago working in Automation & Controls.

Due to huge demand for .NET developers I turned my hand and start dabbling at that also. There is so much work in Stockholm its unreal!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

Packing my suitcase as I type

cutefainne wrote: »
    Packing my suitcase as I type

I know you are only messing, however I would point out that it's far far better to find work before you come over.

Apply for jobs from Ireland. When I moved over the company I worked for did a series of telephone interviews with me. Then they paid for a flight for a face to face interview. I already had a place to live (I have a Swedish partner), if I hadn't had a place they would have sorted that for me too. Applying before you move gives you a better negotiating position.

Finding a place to live can be ridiculously difficult. There really is a housing shortage so accept any help you are offered by your employer.

I've heard of some companies making cheeky offers so do your research. Find out the going rate before you accept an offer. I'll have a look and see if I can find the website that lists salaries and professions and post the link here.

Stockholm is a great city to live in. Moving in the springtime is good as you'll be here and settled before havig to face your first winter.

• Advertisement

http://www.lonestatistik.se/

This website is in Swedish. It gives very detailed salary statistics for all types of work in different locations in Sweden.

I suggest you use Google translate to translate the pages or you can look words up individually using tyda.se

Advertisement