Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C231 at OOC

Options
  • 16-01-2012 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

How did I miss this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

corktina wrote: »
    How did I miss this?

Fill us in on this, I'm confused here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Is that where it was sent to England for some diesel loco fest??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Old Oak Common is (or partly was sadly) a depot in West London. I couldn't beleive that C231 had been exhibited there on its was back from overhaul in Yorkshire (i think) ! What a coup ! I bet that confused a lot of trainspotters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Not the first Irish loco to go across the Irish Sea. The GSR sent GS&WR 36 over for the Liverpool-Manchester Railway centenary celebrations, got dumped in Inchicore on return, miraculously survived WW2 (or the Emergency!) and got tarted up and sent down to Cork for display where she is now. Ex Bord na Mona Barclay now named 'Tom Rolt' is the other that comes to mind. Also...the locos that got a one-way ticket to Vic Berry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

dmcronin wrote: »
    Not the first Irish loco to go across the Irish Sea. The GSR sent GS&WR 36 over for the Liverpool-Manchester Railway centenary celebrations, got dumped in Inchicore on return, miraculously survived WW2 (or the Emergency!) and got tarted up and sent down to Cork for display where she is now. Ex Bord na Mona Barclay now named 'Tom Rolt' is the other that comes to mind. Also...the locos that got a one-way ticket to Vic Berry's.

Interesting, never knew 36 went to the UK... anyone know how it survived into the 1920s in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Pure luck. Maybe it was kept as a 'pet' works shunter or a stationary boiler.

If an original Fairbairn Tramore loco didn't derail in an accident in the 30's we'd have that too. The GSR were toying with the idea of preserving it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

dmcronin wrote: »
    Pure luck. Maybe it was kept as a 'pet' works shunter or a stationary boiler.

If an original Fairbairn Tramore loco didn't derail in an accident in the 30's we'd have that too. The GSR were toying with the idea of preserving it at the time.

I'd heard of the Tramore loco alright, last single wheeler in regular service in these islands I believe? A pity. Interesting to think preservation was even considered that early on, seeing as preservation never really caught on over here in the same way it did in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 d4head77

Yes, it was. GSR had definite plans to preserve it. Imagine it nowadays in steam... would have been an easy job to put in working order.

Advertisement