Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Shiels vs. Skid Row (US)

Options
  • 16-01-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168299
    Brendan "Brush" Shiels, founding member of the late 1960s/early 1970s Irish blues-rock act SKID ROW — which is best known as legendary guitarist Gary Moore's first professional band — has posted a YouTube video in which he accuses the American rock group SKID ROW of using the band name without his permission. He also discusses how he believes the story that Moore received a $35,000 payoff by the American band for the use of the name is nonsense and reveals that he has unsuccessfully tried to contact Jon Bon Jovi (with whom the Sebastian Bach-fronted SKID ROW reportedly signed a publishing deal prior to releasing its first album) and Doc McGhee, early manager of the the American SKID ROW, to resolve the SKID ROW name issue once and for all. Shiels also talks about his ex-SKID ROW bandmates, the late Phil Lynott and Gary Moore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It's good that he's done this, obviously a lot of Americans won't realize the connection, especially before they hear Lynott's name anyway

The current Skid Row, which is just a shell of it's former self, does not (obviously) feature Sebastian Bach, but some of the founding members in that band will certainly have things to say about this.

I've personally never heard anything about Gary Moore being paid $35,000 in lieu of any copyright or court claims towards the name. If they did take them to court, and they could certainly try, I'd imagine there would be a big settlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He must need money. Why else would he be making an issue of this now, 20 years after the American SR were relevant? When '18 and life' was riding high in the charts would have been the time to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I don't know what to make of this.
    I love the "Irish" Skid Row, have the albums and they are fantastic, some great playing from Gary Moore etc.
    I really thought this was sorted out years ago.
    The timing seems a bit strange on this but maybe with Philo's anniversary just gone and Gary's first on the way there is no better time.

I hate the american Skid Row by the way not that it matters :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've met Brush before (he's done some fundraising with Bohs) and I can say without a shed of doubt that he is as mad as a hatter :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

He should know now is hardly the best time unlike say the 80s where claiming mere section of a melody was stolen would reap; nevermind an actual brand name I thought courts just waive shìt like this now whether a claim of plagiarism or whatever due to the fact it's actually highly unlikely to reap rewards now as there's the higher instance of coincidence.. I see lots of young bands using a taken name past few yr
    I've met Bush before (he's done some fundraising with Bohs) and I can say without a shed of doubt that he is as mad as a hatter :D
    n daft as a brush?!!

That beret is criminal. Bach gets too much love.. other observations

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

obviously brush is looking for a pay off-this should of been sorted years ago.

I've met Bush before (he's done some fundraising with Bohs) and I can say without a shed of doubt that he is as mad as a hatter :D
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

:rolleyes:
    Why the rolling-eyes? Maybe Gavin Rossdale and co are avid followers of Dublin soccer ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Brush will be on Liveline later on this afternoon.

Jon Bon Jovi, it's a disgrace Joe.

Dublin tinker = david

us rawk juggernaut = goliath

t'would be a fairytale come true sure no-one's closer to the actual skid row than brush. legal aid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

For the love of god man, put down the drink and step away from the video camera!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168811

On Liveline last week, he reffered to the US Skid Row as a boyband before rambling incoherently! Just get Joe to dip into the Liveline Fund! :D

the original skid row moore etc were bloody good i tells ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Nirvana were also called Skid row when they started out.

Didn't know that. I bet umpteen formative garage bands just went with the name skid row back when

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The guy is madder than a drawer full of frogs and only ever seems to be appear when being interviewed on some back-in-the-day show about Gary Moore or Phil Lynott. Still I guess he has got to pay for those Berets somehow.

Anyone remember some stupid RTE talent show where Brush and Donal Lunny were the judges? Would love to see the clip again where Brush tore into Lunny for the nonsense he was spouting. I remember something about Lunny saying some band were no longer popular and Brush said they might still be popular in other countries such as South Africa and that Lunny didn't know what he was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Brush is 100 times the musician than JBJ.

JBJ fked off with All the fake skid rows money and forced them to sign a gag order, preventing them from discussing it.

Brush had the name first. he's not looking for money, he just wants to put out a record FFS. ...and he's no madder than any dub I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Poor oul Brush...he wasn't exactly blessed with a good ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jaysus, that clip is depressing drivel tripe. Anyone who emigrated and sees that must be counting their lucky stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Maybe he has always had a problem with it but GM didnt want to pursue it!

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    jaysus, that clip is depressing drivel tripe. must
    That Korg Poly800 synth at the start cheered me up. Always wanted one of those!

did he ever attempt to take Brush Shields to court?! Probs considering that now too.. somebody sling him another RTE appearance on voice of Ireland or something; stave this sort of crap off.

I wonder what the kids over on blabbermouth make of this man who looks like he should be weilding a baguette ahead of a guitar?! brush, yer a true old school dub who looks uncannily like my uncle but don't stain TL's legacy with this kind of thing for they were bigger than that.. integral as you were to their inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Poor oul Brush...he wasn't exactly blessed with a good ear.

Christ, those legs are freaky!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

JFC, the worst thing is the smug grin... look how cool I am... Eddie bloody Van Halen... :eek:
    Could Gary not give him a few lessons?

EDIT: "In my opinion, you're one of the greatest frontmen in American rock of all time. For me, you're up there with Ozzy Osbourne"

Birth name John Michael Osbourne
    Born 3 December 1948 (age 63)
    Aston, Birmingham, England

FFS Brush...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

That is just plain awful. Couldn't get past the first 30 seconds of "music".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

then he went and hired someone bad enough to make him look better!!!

Warning:will offend your ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ Jaysus :eek:

then he went and hired someone bad enough to make him look better!!!

Warning:will offend your ears!

awful rubbish -:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Did he really try to get the crowd to sign along? The Late Late Show audience?

Advertisement