Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocked By Mic!!!

Options
  • 16-01-2012 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey ...I was gigging last night as part of a three piece cover band(Guitar - Synth/Keyboard & Singer)

I am the guitarist and I use a Fender Front Man 212R amp and a Boss GT-10 effects pedal
    When I went to do a sound check I got a bad shock from the Microphone which actually made me say F*ck through to the mic

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happened
    Brain is fried trying to think ???:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BluesRock

Hi Dan, this is shocking, lol, ...but seriously, ...there was some small difference in the electrical supply that your guitar amp was plugged into & the socket/electrical supply that the p.a. mic was plugged into, ie two slightly different sources of electricity. I'd guess you were using two different wall sockets, which would usually be ok, ...Usually :) ....you play the guitar, your fingers were on the strings, when you went to the mic there was a small potential difference between your 'guitar strings' and the microphone, ..& the first time this will be noticed is when your lips touch the microphone, ...Ouch!! ...your 'body' completed a circuit & the point of contact was, ...your lips :( ..Ok to stop this happening again you should either stop singing or, ..naw just kiddin' ...try to plug your guitar amp into the same socket/plugboard as the mic. p.a. ...also open & check all your plugs tops, that live neutral & especially the 'earth' wires are connected securely in the right terminals, ...hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

that used to happen me a lot when we used to practice in my mates garage, was a pain in the.......well lips!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r.duke

hello, not to freak you out but there have been people/musicians/singers who have been killed on stage by shocks from mic's, it can be quite serious, especially outdoor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

An uncle of mine was killd on stage back in he sixties as result of this.

You need:
    a) One of these to check sockets
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SOCKET-TESTER-Electrical-Mains-Plug-Polarity-Safety-/350486375643?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item519a9dacdb

I carry one everywhere I go

b) To plug all equipment into the same power source. This will make sure that you are all on the same phase, and that the power source frequency is consistent.

c) Make sure all power extension leads are fully unwound from their cradles. They can heat up and melt. They will also cause a hum, as they basically act as a magnetic coil.

d) Walk away if it ever happens again. Life is too short mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Phantom power, power leads that aren't earthed etc. can also cause these issues sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

An uncle of mine was killd on stage back in he sixties as result of this.

You need:
    a) One of these to check sockets
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SOCKET-TESTER-Electrical-Mains-Plug-Polarity-Safety-/350486375643?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item519a9dacdb

I carry one everywhere I go

b) To plug all equipment into the same power source. This will make sure that you are all on the same phase, and that the power source frequency is consistent.

c) Make sure all power extension leads are fully unwound from their cradles. They can heat up and melt. They will also cause a hum, as they basically act as a magnetic coil.

d) Walk away if it ever happens again. Life is too short mate.

All good advice. I'm sure a lot of people overlook point (c).

roast wrote: »
    Phantom power, power leads that aren't earthed etc. can also cause these issues sometimes.

With the topic we are discussing, that is an apt username. :pac:

Mods : Depending on the amount of constructive information ( and there has been some already), about safety when performing, that is posted on this thread, perhaps it could be stickied ?

Rigsby wrote: »
    Mods : Depending on the amount of constructive information ( and there has been some already), about safety when performing, that is posted on this thread, perhaps it could be stickied ?

I agree it's all good advice, but we're limited to how many stickies we can have. Over the next few weeks, we'll be getting our new forum (woop!) and we'll have new charters and redoing the stickies. I've bookmarked this for inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I agree it's all good advice, but we're limited to how many stickies we can have. Over the next few weeks, we'll be getting our new forum (woop!) and we'll have new charters and redoing the stickies. I've bookmarked this for inclusion.

Thanks for that !! I was wondering about the new forum, and if/when we were getting it. Nice to know it's in the pipeline. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Usually an earthing problem, particularly if you play guitar and try to sing, if there's something not earthed between the Mixer or the Guitar Amp....you will be zapped. It's most unpleasant and seriously dangerous.

Go through all your gear and get the screwdriver out, open all plugs and tighten the connections with the strength of ten men so they don't budge.

If you are still having problems then it could be dodgy electrics in the venue (no work around for this) or could be a bad mic/cable which also ties into the Phantom power issue. Still shouldn't happen with Phantom power but all things being equal it's wise to turn it off when not needed.

Some desks like the larger Powermates have a master Phantom power switch that means it's either universally on or off, which sucks if you need it for a Condenser Mic or Active DI Box. Any larger Professional desk will always have the means to switch Phantom power off by channel strip.

But my money's on the earthing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 theinhouseband

have your equipment PAT certified, it sounds like there is either a ground LOOP, or a ground (Earth) has been lifted. i would start with your guitar and work backwards (Guitar - Cable - FX - AMP - WALL) then your mic (Mic - Cable - Outboard Comp etc - Desk) then check Desk - POwer Amps etc

this can potentially kill man,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

This happened one of our singers in a local renowned venue recently... turns out the mic was old and dodgey, the lead was to blame and it should never have been given to anybody to sing into.
    If the shock went right through you or you have burns where contact was made, go to your GP.. your natural rhythms might be all out of sorts and you may black out over the next couple of days while your pulse and heartbeat get back to normal...I'm not joking, totally serious! Our singer was told by a cardiologist that she was very lucky and should have come in straight after the shock!!
    Get the serial number of the mic if there is one and make sure it never happens again!!! Chuck it if needs be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I know if your touching guitar strings it happens alot as your basically a circuit once ya connect the two via your body and bam ya get a bang off it.

Advertisement