Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Hi

Proud owner of a new puppy. She is adorable. But should i get insurance in case she gets ill? any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi

Proud owner of a new puppy. She is adorable. But should i get insurance in case she gets ill? any suggestions?
    Is she a purebred or mongrel , alot of the purebred are prone to inherited problems so its well worth checking online the common problems and deciding then.

Mongrels are less likely to inherit serious problems.

I dont have insurance because i have some savings to fall back on if something did happen .

If you can manage to keep some savings aside for a worst case scenario i would prefer that than to pay for insurance if its a mongrel.

If i had a purebred i would consider it depending on breed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would highly recommend Pet Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

I got a cat when he was 9 months old, luckily enough I listened to my OH and we got pet insurance, our poor little puss had a pol-lip in his ear but it took ages to find it due to ear infections and such overall the bill came to over 2000 but all we had to pay was an 80 excess!

definitely worth it for peace of mind plus when vets know you have insurance they will do everything they can to identify and fix any issue where as without insurance, you/they might be concerned about personal finances and treatments may be delayed or not done because of cash flow!

also just because you have some cash to fall back on now doesn't mean you will always have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Would definitely recommend it, no matter what type your pup is!
    We didn't have it when my guy was a pup and paid a small fortune in vet bills untill he was around 18months due to digestive problems.
    I started paying for insurance for him when he was 5, and so far have never had to use it, but he's now approaching double figures, and its such a comfort to know it's there, as if anything does happen to him as he gets older (I'm knocking on wood as I type!!) I know I'll be able to get him the best treatment possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

TG1 wrote: »
    Would definitely recommend it, no matter what type your pup is!
    We didn't have it when my guy was a pup and paid a small fortune in vet bills untill he was around 18months due to digestive problems.
    I started paying for insurance for him when he was 5, and so far have never had to use it, but he's now approaching double figures, and its such a comfort to know it's there, as if anything does happen to him as he gets older (I'm knocking on wood as I type!!) I know I'll be able to get him the best treatment possible.

Just remember, he wont be covered for anything that hes already suffered from as it would be a pre-exisiting condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I'm looking to get pet insurance as well, could anyone recommend some good companies?

Advertisement