Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me define "industry sector"

Options
  • 15-01-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

This may sound silly but I want some other input. Have to write an essay

In the question:

Take an industry sector of your choice and discuss the ways in which it has changed over the last fifty years paying particular attention to the changes in the nature of work and the workforce

How would you define "industry sector"?

Would it be in terms of primary,secondary, or tertiary?
    - Or in terms of something like the manufacturing sector
    - Or in terms of a particular manufacturing sector - ie. The Textile industry

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Second one. Primary secondary and tertiary aren't sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Thanks for the reply but are primary, secondary etc considered economic sectors?

I know it's wiki but they do call primary, secondary etc "industrial sectors"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry#Industrial_sectors

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

What's the subject? I think if the question was about primary, secondary or tertiary sector the question wouldn't use the word 'industry.' Industry to me implies something within one of the sectors. If it was about the primary etc. sector, then it'd ask about an 'economic' sector or something. Anyways, to be sure just email your lecturer, they'd know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yeah I'd go with the above OP.

If no other direction is given, I would just take it for granted that an industry sector refers to a sector comprised of similar industries, for example the NACE classification system which is made up of a small number of sectors which in turn are divided into specific industries

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/mergers/cases/index/nace_all.html

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Yeah thans for this, I just went for the manufacturing sector, focusing on textiles in Northern English towns

That should do it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement