Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suplasyn Injections

Options
  • 15-01-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, my doctor has recommended Suplasyn Injections for the arthritis in my knees, after the first injection in both knees and resting for one day I found a good improvement and the pain in my knees at night has almost gone and I can get up from a chair now without too much pain.
    I have just had the second injection and have not noticed much improvement from last week in fact it has slightly deteriorated. I have one more injection in both knees next Friday and understand it should last about 6 months or more. Are there are other people who have had the same injections and can give any advice. I just hope the improvement to my mobility lasts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sobaga

After damaging the cartilage in my knee following an accident, I have been taking the Suplasyn injections for over a year now. Although it says on the packaging that three injections are enough, from my own experience I can certainly say that they are not, and they don't last as long as it says (i.e. 6 months). I am getting an injection every two weeks and I must say my knee knows exactly when the injection is due, as it reminds me of itself quite painfully sometimes. Anyway, thanks to these injections I am able to walk and they relieve pain following the administration.
    The reason you experienced slight deterioration may be a result of you overworking the knee (because we feel better, we tend to put more weight on the knee or just walk more, etc.)
    Anyway, I would love to know how you are doing following the course of 3 injections. I am having a consultation with a Professor in Orthopaedics to find out if there is an improvement between MRI taken in December 2010 and one taken on Tuesday.
    As a matter of curiosity, the orthopaedic surgeon that administers the injections advises me to have 48 hours of rest and avoiding contact with water in the injection area, as the hole after needle can let something unwanted into the joint (and it needs more than 24 hours to close completely).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dovie

Hi Sobaga,

Its 2 months since my fist injection and at the beginning I thought I was onto a winner. However I have still quite a lot of pain in my knees when I stand up after sitting for some time like after driving for a couple of hours or sitting in front of the TV. I feel that the injections have made a slight improvement and I can walk slightly better than before.
    I had an arthroscopie on my right knee about 10 years ago to repair the meniscus and was told that I had arthritis in the joint and would need a new joint in about 5 years and I am still hanging on. I have the same problems with my ankles but the doctor has said to wait until I find out how the knees are first.
    I like to play golf and have resigned myself to using a single seater buggy which helps me keep up with the rest of the pack. I get some walking around the greens and my body get a workout as well. I also walk my dog 3 times a day for about 20 mins to keep the joints moving and I take Mobic and Paracetamol to help with the pain. By the way I have reduced the Paracetamol to one a day instead of three or four since the injections.

Advertisement