Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Information Systems.. Maths aspect

Options
  • 15-01-2012 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,

I am going to fill out my cao in the next week or two and since the first time i read/heard about BIS iv been extremely interested.

I was certain about putting this number one until my guidance counsellor at school recently told me that i would need a high level of maths in order to do well in BIS at UCC.

This has me concerned as I do ordinary level maths and I am not fantastic at maths.

Iv been told that I would be better off doing something like Commerce.

Many Thanks,

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The only maths that comes into play is in Statistics in 1st year and in Financial Accounting & Management Accounting in 1st and 2nd year.. If you can use a calculator, you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

DavidTKD wrote: »
    Hello,

I am going to fill out my cao in the next week or two and since the first time i read/heard about BIS iv been extremely interested.

I was certain about putting this number one until my guidance counsellor at school recently told me that i would need a high level of maths in order to do well in BIS at UCC.

This has me concerned as I do ordinary level maths and I am not fantastic at maths.

Many Thanks,

David

I teach on the course and I can tell you for sure that the majority of BIS students do not take Higher Maths at LC level. If you want to chat about the course pm me and I will send you my contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rob_Loblaw

DavidTKD wrote: »
    Hello,

Many Thanks,

David
    That's an odd recommendation given the advice regarding BIS.

BIS 1st Year: Principles of Accounting (5 credits), Introduction to Management Accounting (5 credits), Introduction to Business Statistics (5 credits).
    Commerce 1st Year: Introduction to Accounting (5 credits), Introductory Mathematics for Business I (5 credits), Introduction to Business Statistics (5 credits).

BIS 2nd Year: Intermediate Management Accounting (10 credits).
    Commerce 2nd Year: Management Accuonting I (10 credits).

Both courses have electives like the above (Commerce more so), but you certainly don't need a high level of maths to do BIS.

Advertisement