Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd problems

Options
  • 15-01-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have our German Shepherd now a year next month. Shes great so obedient and gentle.

Weve never had any problems with her barking or whimpering untill this past week or 2. At night she starts whimpering and it soon becomes a barking session. Theres no distracting her when she starts toys are ignored and food aswell.

Im really worried as to why she is doing is all of a sudden?
    Our cat recently passed away could it be shes missing him?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Did she used to sleep with your cat?
    Otherwise, any chance she could be coming into heat? Or any noises outside upsetting her?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has she had a season yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

no noises outside upsetting her same as usual.
    She didnt sleep with the cat but he was always around you know.

I dont think she can be in heat again as she had all the signs in October when she was just past the 12 month mark and vet confirmed this.

Kaylami wrote: »

I dont think she can be in heat again as she had all the signs in October when she was just past the 12 month mark and vet confirmed this.

So, was the cat about, in the same room as her, when she's in bed?
    Does the crying start immediately or is it some time after being alone at night?
    Have you gone into her to soothe her since this started?
    Sorry for all the questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Is there any chance that a dog got to her when she was in season?

• Advertisement

DBB - Cat lived outside mostly only came in when it suited him but he was around when she was out the back or sitting on the windowsill most of the time.
    It only starts after a few hours then she might stop for a few hours and then go again.
    I went down the first few times to make sure everything was ok as it really wasnt like her. I didnt give her attention just made sure she was alright. I thought it might have been seperation anxiety but she does it even if were in the next room and shes free to come & go.

ISDW - Definately sure no dog got to her. I was extremely careful so apart from her walks she was on lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Have there been any changes in the neighbourbood recently? She may be hearing something that you can't.

Really, really long shot, do you live near any shops? Could anyone have put one of those high pitched things on any buildings to keep teenagers away - adults aren't supposed to be able to hear them, but I'm sure dogs can, could have been put on a shop to stop teenagers hanging around there at night?

Could you have mice, now the cat isn't there anymore, maybe they are running around under floorboards etc.

No things havent changed we live in a really quiet estate. Neighbours both sides are pensioners. no shop for about a mile so that isnt it.

ISDW - Mice is actually the first thing that came to mind. Our cat was forever leaving them on the door step for us. Would this put her crazy like that?

No things havent changed we live in a really quiet estate. Neighbours both sides are pensioners. no shop for about a mile so that isnt it.

ISDW - Mice is actually the first thing that came to mind. Our cat was forever leaving them on the door step for us. Would this put her crazy like that?

It sure would!
    Is she living inside? Would you be able to set up a video camera to see what she's doing just prior to getting stressy?
    Also, perhaps try leaving a radio on to damp down potential mousey noises... It doesn't have to be loud enough to disturb you.
    This is just a suggestion to see is there anything to this mouse theory!

It does seem the most logical explaination.

I will leave the radio on tonight for her and see does it calm things down.
    If it is mice she will probably still hear them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Any chance of pyometra? Any other signs like restlessness, drinking/peeing more than usual, discharge? My cousin nearly lost his rottweiler to pyometra the week before christmas, only sign he noticed was her restlessness.

Ruling out an actual physical problems would there be any new dogs in the area, or foxes or cats hanging around your garden?

I honestly don't know if its a physical problem. I have a appointment with the vet tommorow just to get her checked out. Shes not drinking/ peeing anymore than usual.
    No new dogs in the area. There are cats in and out of the garden since we first got her so I dont think that was cause her to react like that.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Any chance of pyometra? Any other signs like restlessness, drinking/peeing more than usual, discharge? My cousin nearly lost his rottweiler to pyometra the week before christmas, only sign he noticed was her restlessness.

Ruling out an actual physical problems would there be any new dogs in the area, or foxes or cats hanging around your garden?

The timing would be about right for pyometra alright, if she's still not settled after trying to drown out the mice, it'd be a good idea to rule out medical issues.
    Talk shows and lyric fm are good to help drown out background noises... Worth a try anyway!

Advertisement