Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby names - Irish/Spanish

Options
  • 15-01-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

My wife and I are having a baby in May and can't agree on names at all.

Herself wants an Irish name and even though I dont mind that, since Im Spanish (so is all my blood family),it would be nice to pick a name that is not too difficult for Spanish people to pronunce.

Any Spanish/Irish couples in the same situation? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭beccabeccabecca

I'm not Spanish but I study the language. Off the top of my head, a few names that wouldn't be too difficult for Spanish speakers to pronounce would be Liam, Dara, Conor, Cian, Killian, Dónal,Cormac, Lorcan or Brendan for a boy and Orla, Alana, Móna, Úna, Cara or Fiona for a girl. The vowels are pronounced the same way in both Irish and Spanish, give or take the accent ;). Congratulations by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zubinator

Thanks a million,

that's very good stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

zubinator wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife and I are having a baby in May and can't agree on names at all.

Herself wants an Irish name and even though I dont mind that, since Im Spanish (so is all my blood family),it would be nice to pick a name that is not too difficult for Spanish people to pronunce.

Any Spanish/Irish couples in the same situation? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.
    my wife is from gib and she has the spanish spelling of the name magdalena,which is a, strong name that is popular in ireland ,kill to birds with one stone

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Hi zubinator,

Congrats and best of luck in May.

In a similiar situation. Im Irish and my wife is Swedish and it took us a long time to pick a name. We have one now that suits both cultures but it wasnt easy.

I have a really good friend from Spain who name is Jesus, but maybe that wouldnt work in Ireland. The only other spanish name i know is Pablo. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zubinator

getz wrote: »
    my wife is from gib and she has the spanish spelling of the name magdalena,which is a, strong name that is popular in ireland ,kill to birds with one stone

Thanks getz, thats a nice name, I'll run it by the boss....

shnethb wrote: »
    Hi zubinator,

Congrats and best of luck in May.

In a similiar situation. Im Irish and my wife is Swedish and it took us a long time to pick a name. We have one now that suits both cultures but it wasnt easy.

I have a really good friend from Spain who name is Jesus, but maybe that wouldnt work in Ireland. The only other spanish name i know is Pablo. Good luck with it.

Thanks shnethb, we dont want to go for a Spanish name, however I like Pablo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hi there, I know an Irish/Spanish couple that had a little called Oscar and later on a little girl called Silvia, I think they are both gorgeous names easily pronounced in a lot of languages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Daniel although not irish is common here and in Spain.

How about if it is a girl a Spanish 1st name and if it is a boy an irish one to go with the Spanish surname.

Advertisement