Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in understanding wine

Options
  • 15-01-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

I got a lovely bottle of wine a couple of years back from O'Briens but I have never seen it restocked. The name of it was:

Marques De Caceres
    Sentinela Demi
    Dulce 2005

Just wondering, how can you understand what the wine is from the label?

I've done a bit of Google-ing and I can see that Marques De Caceres is the brand, but what does the rest of the label mean?

Also, if I wanted to find a wine similar to this, what would I look for?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can add that Demi Dulce means 'semi sweet' or medium sweet
    and, as I'm sure you've already worked out, the wine is from 2005 harvest.

A google search tells me that it is from the Rioja region of Spain and that it's a white wine.
    This also tells me that the predominant grape is Viura with some Malvasia in there too.

Look out for wines from Spain with these grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Viura is a much underestimated grape, lovely gentle citrus tones with herbs, honey and vanilla. Very partial to a good one meself!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

Why must wine always be from Spain or France? :confused:

There are other fine wines in other countries, too .... :)

Berwick wrote: »
    Why must wine always be from Spain or France? :confused:....

who said it must?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

This wine was retailing in Cellars The Big Wine Warehouse up untill it closed down last week.
    Caceres is imported by Cassidys in Citywest. If you google them and send an email requesting deatails of retailers of this wine. I am sure they will let you know who stocks it.

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    who said it must?

Must I translate what I meant?

Why do people alway talk of French and Spanish and Italian wine - just as if there was nothing else ....

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Why do people alway talk of French and Spanish and Italian wine - just as if there was nothing else ....

weird.

the op is asking about a spanish wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

zac8 wrote: »
    weird.

the op is asking about a spanish wine.

Yes, hell he/she shouldn't have been.
    They've gone and upset Berwick now!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You should explain what you mean, when it is very unclear to the rest of us.

Who are these people who only talk only about French, Spanish and Italian wines.

When I read about wine in newspapers, or hear about it on the radio, or discuss it among friends, I hear about wines from Chile, South Africa, Argentina, New Zealand, Australia, etc etc.

If anything, I know lots of people who only drink new world wines and aren't interested in the traditional European wine producing nations at all, which is a pity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

huskerdu wrote: »
    I hear about wines from Chile, South Africa, Argentina, New Zealand, Australia, etc etc.
    Sorry. You did not mention Germany. You have failed the Berwick test.

• Advertisement

and Portugal. You're ALL dead to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I haven't seen Bulgaria or Lebanon mentioned yet, shower of snobby so and sos!

Ever mind the fact that some of the worlds best sparkling whites are made in England!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No mention of Californian or Oregonian wines either.
    For shame.

FOR SHAME!!!!!

or Georgian or Greek or Mexican.... we could go on forever.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

BeerNut wrote: »
    Sorry. You did not mention Germany. You have failed the Berwick test.

As far as German wines go, the Rheigau Riesling is a very nice wine, as is the Mosel Riesling, the Mosel Riesling having a disctint slate-taste to it.

The Germans have a lovely sortiment on Spätburgunder and the St. Laurent shouldn't be overlooked either

My favourite wines, however, have to be the Austrian "Roter Veltliner" and "Grüner Veltliner"* from the Wagram district

(*despite the name the 2 wines aren't related, but both equally tasty)

Apanachi wrote: »
    As far as German wines go, the Rheingau Riesling is a very nice wine, as is the Mosel Riesling, the Mosel Riesling having a disctint slate-taste to it.

The Germans have a lovely sortiment on Spätburgunder and the St. Laurent shouldn't be overlooked either

I second that. :)

And in my mind the Baden region brings the best German wines. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

None of which is helping the OP & only going further off topic.

If you wish to discuss German wines - start a German wine discussion.

tHB

Advertisement