Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat returns after 10 months!

Options
  • 15-01-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Yep, as the thread title suggests.. I walked outside this morning,,,and there was my cat!

It alll started 10 months ago after a family row with an estranged in law.

Cat went missing around about that time... We presumed she had taken it away to spite us, had it killed, or he had gotten killed.

Lo and behold there he was outside the dooe this morning!

Has anyone ever heard of this before? and more importantly.. where could he have been?!

Delighted :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is he neutered? My unneutered tom went missing when I was a kid, seemed to be gone for months and months (we gave up on any hope of him returning), could of been shorter memory is a bit foggy but he was defintiely gone more than a few weeks, jumped in the window one morning while I was eating breakfast like he'd never left! :D

Your guess is as good as anyones as to where he was, if he's in decent nick and well fed he could have been taken in by someone who presumed he was a stray. No harm putting a collar on him with your number just in case they go looking for him and take him again if that was the case. Get him neutered if not already, reduces the urge to roam. And microchipped in case he goes walkabout again. And spoil him rotten now he's home! :D

There was a case in the UK recently where a cat went missing for a few years and turned up in a rescue somewhere, scanned for a microchip and he was reunited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-16368270 That was the story I was thinking of. Although on googling I found lots more, one was reunited after 11 years! :eek: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/01/03/lost-cat-reunited-with-its-owner-11-years-later-115875-22822745/ As good an example for microchipping as any I'v read!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The exact same thing happened with my boy, he went missing and we thought for sure he was dead, we even got 2 new kittens in that time, and 10 months later he wandered in the window as if nothing ever happened! Only thing was while he was wandering he caught FIV along the way :( id advise bringing your cat to tge vet just to make sure everything is still okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Is he neutered? My unneutered tom went missing when I was a kid, seemed to be gone for months and months (we gave up on any hope of him returning), could of been shorter memory is a bit foggy but he was defintiely gone more than a few weeks, jumped in the window one morning while I was eating breakfast like he'd never left! :D

Your guess is as good as anyones as to where he was, if he's in decent nick and well fed he could have been taken in by someone who presumed he was a stray. No harm putting a collar on him with your number just in case they go looking for him and take him again if that was the case. Get him neutered if not already, reduces the urge to roam. And microchipped in case he goes walkabout again. And spoil him rotten now he's home! :D

There was a case in the UK recently where a cat went missing for a few years and turned up in a rescue somewhere, scanned for a microchip and he was reunited!
    The exact same thing happened with my boy, he went missing and we thought for sure he was dead, we even got 2 new kittens in that time, and 10 months later he wandered in the window as if nothing ever happened! Only thing was while he was wandering he caught FIV along the way :( id advise bringing your cat to tge vet just to make sure everything is still okay :)

Thank you both for your replies! Long story short he is not neutered, he is sterile though, and while he should have some urges he never really strayed before that!
    He's also 14 years old so we're astonished he is in such good health, and he is a gem of a cat. Thanks for the advice about the micro chipping, definitely gonna get on to that! :D Sorry to hear about the FIV Silly Mango!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's brilliant news, as said deffo have him checked out, not harm anyway. If possible due to his age as well keep him as an indoor cat only from now on because if it turns out there he just wandered off by himself at least this way you can put a stop to the wanderlust. zooplus.ie have a range of cat trees etc. to keep an older cat occupied indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

couple of more examples here.. including my own little story.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74432039

Advertisement