Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut on dogs pad

Options
  • 15-01-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

My poor Sam has a cut and is bleeding, I've managed to clean it and bandage it, is that enough? :(

I encouraged him to lick it, and for now it seems the bleeding has stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

IvySlayer wrote: »

I encouraged him to lick it, and for now it seems the bleeding has stopped.

Did you lick your foot to show him what to do? :pac:

If the bleeding has stopped, it sounds like it should be ok, especially if he does lick it. :) Maybe give your local vet a ring and describe the cut?

They might recommend you pop in just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Vets closed on Sunday unfortunatly :( I cleaned i with baby wipes and he started to lick it for about 10 mins, I know their saliva has healing/disinfectant properties!

He's not in pain, bleedings stopped completely, bandaged, the cut isn't deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

My fella Buddy had a bad cut on his pad, I think he done it while out running in the park. Anyway I didnt notice it until we got home, saw a bit of blood on the floor and I was checking Izzy's first then saw Buddy licking his paw, I done the same, gave it a good clean and left it. He wouldnt leave it alone then so I had to keep stopping him at it to let it dry up.

Next day same again so I bandaged it up, and automatically he got a "limp" out of nowhere and start then feeling sorry for himself!! :rolleyes:

About 4 or 5 days later and of changing the bandage twice a day it fully healed, because he wasnt able to lick it it dried out, when he was at it, the whole pad looked like it had been soaked in water all night! When I took the bandage off and kept him I kept him indoors for another few days to ensure the cut didnt open back up again, oh and once the bandage was off his "limp" disappeared!

7350583.jpg

Sleeping it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Oh I meant to say, just make sure that the bandage is not too tight!! Make sure he still has movement in the joint at his foot! Last thing you want is to be cutting off the blood supply altogether!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

dogs sweat from between their paws so make sure its not too tight and replace it every day

it happened to one of my dog on holiday, the local vet had it too tight and 2 days later she was in agony in the middle of the midnight. rushed tio the vet first thing in the morning, took the bandage off and the smell would knock down a skonk, it has became infected ! dog was on 3 legs for a week and was having injections every day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Depending on how deep the cut is it may need stitching, pad cuts are difficult places as depending on where it is everytime he walks it reopens so best to get it checked out. Also be very careful bandaging it yourself as a lot of damage can be done by improper bandaging, as garkane said if it's too tight it actually cuts off circulation, also there should be cotton wool in between each toe. Best thing is take the bandage off (or make sure it's loose and take it off in the morning) and bring him to the vets Monday or Tuesday if it's not improved, even just ask for a nurse to look at it and you should only be charged for the bandage if it doesn't need stitching (no or very low consult fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I dunno if their saliva has healing properties considering where else they lick lol depends on their gum health as well but warm salt water is great to help clean out and heal small cuts..stings a bit but it does work and most vets will recommend this for small cuts.

There's various spray on antiseptics you can get, I've used that silver spray on stuff before same stuff they use on dogs when they've had an op.

But just keeping the area clean for a day or two while it heals up should do the trick. He's so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

One of my dogs have cut the pads on his foot twice. Both times my vet glued the wound closed with surgical glue, he said it was too hard to stitch that area of hard skin. Both times the wound healed up in days & Ben was none the worse for wear!

Update, came down this morning, he was bleeding again, no choice but to bring him to vets.

She put a staple in him, and put on painkillers/anti-biotics, alls grand except for the tantrum he threw when she put the cone on him :pac:

Home now, cone off, even a sniff near the new bandage, cones back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Always keep a can of Aluspray (aluminium powder) invaluable piece of doggy first aid, undoubtedly they will lick it off those easy reach areas but persist and it works.

Advertisement