Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a Workout

Options
  • 15-01-2012 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. I want to incorporate some weight training into my running routine.

I have a decent bit of experience lifting weights, so I can execute the moves correctly. My problem is designing a schedule. Previously I trained my chest/back, arms/shoulders and legs/core on different days (Monday - Wednesday, repeating on Thursday - Saturday).

However, this time I'll only be lifting on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This is to allow for running on the off-days (resting on Sunday).

I'm exercising at home, and only have a dumbbell bench and dumbbells to work with.

Basically, I'm looking for a full body workout. I could design one myself, one based on the most basic exercise for each body part, but I'm not sure how each exercise would interact when performed on the same day. In short, I don't want to injure myself.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Hi. I want to incorporate some weight training into my running routine.

I have a decent bit of experience lifting weights, so I can execute the moves correctly. My problem is designing a schedule. Previously I trained my chest/back, arms/shoulders and legs/core on different days (Monday - Wednesday, repeating on Thursday - Saturday).

However, this time I'll only be lifting on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This is to allow for running on the off-days (resting on Sunday).

I'm exercising at home, and only have a dumbbell bench and dumbbells to work with.

Basically, I'm looking for a full body workout. I could design one myself, one based on the most basic exercise for each body part, but I'm not sure how each exercise would interact when performed on the same day. In short, I don't want to injure myself.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks.

Or would it be better to just stick with chest/back on Monday, arms/shoulders on Wednesday and legs/core on Friday? Rather than repeating a full body workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I prefer movements to body parts.
    Cos the good exercises usually cross a heap of bodyparts anyway so its probably better to work on them.

Like, if you can do some sort of push exercise (Push-up, bench press, overhead press)
    some sort of pull exercise (Dumbell row, bodyweight row, dumbell bench row, pullups)
    Some sort of squat or Lunge (DB Lunge, reverse lunge, DB Goblet squat, one leg squat)
    And some sort of "Hip Hinge" (DB Romanian Deadlift, DB Swing etc)
    Then maybe some curls and some sort of plank or ab exercise.
    Or maybe a carry. All very Dan John, I know.

You could pick one of each and do them 3 times a week.
    Pick two of each and do alternating sessions.

eg.
    DB Bench
    Pullups
    Lunge
    DB RDL
    Plank

3 days a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

DJ would be so proud

Advertisement