Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with my new Fast Track USB device

Options
  • 15-01-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently bought an M-Audio Fast Track USB interface online and it arrived the other day. I used it properly for the first time today, and I've come across an issue.
    There's a weird crackling that completely drowns out my recordings, and it comes through at different times. It's not my headphones, and I've tried two different sets and it happens in both.
    It happens while I'm recording and when I'm not, even just if I'm testing the microphone.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm worried it's a fault in the actually device...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

1) Make sure no other device is sharing the same USB bus (BTW, sometimes 2 adjacent USB sockets will be on the same bus)

2) Check your drivers are the correct ones. A generic driver will cause crackles like this.

3) Check your latency settings: too low a latency will cause drop-outs; all systems need to be 'tuned' for the optimal compromise between latency and performance. I track with direct monitoring via hardware or software: but, if you are 'software monitoring', you'll typically want to record with lower latency and minimal plug-ins (disable, or 'freeze' them); and mix down with higher latency (giving you the opportunity to add more plug-ins and FX etc. ).

Advertisement