Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 update on laptop?

Options
  • 15-01-2012 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi

Is there any way that i can download the system update for the PS3 on a laptop? Then install it through on the PS3 with a external hard disk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't know about laptops, but the official playstation magazine used to give out demo discs with the updates on it(when they were out) for people without wifi or internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Yup, you can do that.

Download the latest firmware from here

Make a folder on the root of your USB stick called "PS3" (Capitals)

Make another folder inside that called "UPDATE" (Capitals)

Drag the update into the UPDATE folder, plug it into the ps3 and go to system update > Update from storage media.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

yorkie727 wrote: »
    Hi

Is there any way that i can download the system update for the PS3 on a laptop? Then install it through on the PS3 with a external hard disk?

Latest System software Here:

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item435771/Update-features-%28ver-4-00%29/

Update Instructios:

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/network/detail/item48612/PlayStation-3-System-Software-updates/
    PC Update - Visit eu.playstation.com for the very latest version of the update data. Follow the on-screen instructions to download to your PC.

To transfer the update data to your PlayStation 3, save the file to a PS3 compatible storage device such as Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, USB drive or PSP.

Before starting, use your PC to create a folder named 'PS3' on the storage media or USB device. Within the folder, create a folder named 'UPDATE' (This folder name is case sensitive and must appear in all capital letters). Once the UPDATE folder has been created, download the PS3 system software update to this location.

Once the update data has been saved, disconnect the storage device and connect it to your PS3 via the slots under the slot cover or the USB connectors depending on the device you're using.

Once connected, navigate to Settings on the PS3 Home Menu, select [System Update] and then [Update via Storage Media]. Select the connected device and your PS3 will install the update data stored there.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Blikes wrote: »
    Yup, you can do that.

Download the latest firmware from here

Make a folder on the root of your USB stick called "PS3" (Capitals)

Make another folder inside that called "UPDATE" (Capitals)

Drag the update into the UPDATE folder, plug it into the ps3 and go to system update > Update from storage media.

That update info is from the US site. Best not use this update as it may affect regional settings for BD or display settings. Best off stick with UK site which i've posted earlier.
    No offense to Blikes....

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

shinobi wrote: »
    That update info is from the US site. Best not use this update as it may affect regional settings for BD or display settings. Best off stick with UK site which i've posted earlier.
    No offense to Blikes....

Used it tons of times, i don't think it really matters but yeah, better safe than sorry :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement