Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat flu

Options
  • 15-01-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I posted here a couple of weeks ago because my two kittens had sore eyes. Turned out it was cat flu. They got antibiotics and eye ointment and they were all better. I was hoping to get them vaccinated this week. But this morning when I went to feed them...sore eyes again! Should I get more antibiotics and eye ointment from the vet on Monday? Would it be bad for them to have more antibiotics? :(

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

If you can get hold of a cream called fucitalmic (try your chemist, that's where i get it) it actually has an antibiotic in it, and I find it brilliant for kittens with cat flu. You'll need to put a drop in both eyes twice a day for about five days straight, then cut it down to once a day until it clears. I did the whole antibiotics from the vet thing once but it cost too much and the fucitalmic cream does just as well in clearing it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I have had cats in the past who have suffered from it, keep their eyes clean, bathe using water from used tea bags, its very soothing.

Don't worry cats with cat flu can live long happy lives, my last girl lived till she was twelve. It can pop up from time to time but usually passes. But as they get old their immune system gets weaker, they are unable to fight it off.

Ask your vet and they will give you the best advice.

have a read of this too
    http://www.bluecross.org.uk/1959-2765/cat-flu.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

usually vets give a long-lasting antibiotic shot and if so there's no point getting another after 2 weeks. My cats recovered from their catflu months ago and they're still getting sore eyes now and then, sometimes tear ducts get permanently scarred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

You can give Echinacea to pets too, in their water. Boosts the immune system same as it does for humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Mine infected my fully vaccinated cats:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I had some Fucithalmic ointment left so I've been using it on the kitten with sore eyes. Here's a pic of her from Sat
    2f94c570.jpg
    Been cleaning her eyes with cold tea too her eyes look a lot better today :D Nearly out of ointment might get some more tomorrow.
    ff0c622d.jpg Here she is having a lil nap!

Here's my other girl she's not affected at all!!
    851b2954.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

They're gorgeous cats Sparkle.

I have a girl who gets recurring bouts of her cat flu whenever she gets stressed and I have found that giving her about a quarter of a normal human strength echinacea tablet daily and one pulsatilla pillule twice daily, while she's poorly, really helps to boost her immune system and get her over the worst.
    I also use chamomile teabags to clean her poor little eyes. I don't drink chamomile tea but you can get a cheaper version in tesco's for about 1.50 for 40 teabags and they work miracles and are very soothing and really do work. Just make sure the infusion is lukewarm and use a new bag on each eye to prevent spreading germs.

She also sees the vet and because she's quite a big girl, he tends to giver her larger dose antibiotics but you need to complete the course. And possibly ask the vet to try a different variant of antibiotic as, with repeated use, they can become ineffective.
    Hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Lysine is excellent, Sparkle. The vets sell it as a paste but you can buy it in tablets from Holland & Barrett and crush and sprinkle over the food. Cats don't seem to mind the taste.

I definitely wouldn't vaccinate them until they are feeling 100%. The big worry is panleukopaenia but if you are keeping them exclusively indoors they'll be safe until they're well enough to vaccinate.

They may need a different antibiotic - we've always used Ronaxan for cat flu and it works brilliantly.

I think you're wonderful by the way - these kitties are lucky to have you! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Is there a special type of Lysine or do I just get whatever they have in Holland & Barrett? My parents aren't too happy about them staying inside! They're stayin in our little back toilet with their bed, blanky and litter tray. But the upside for my parents is the bathroom gets an extreme cleanup everyday!

Their eyes are a lot better today. When they purr they don't sound congested. :-D really wanna get them better and vaccinated!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I hate to even ask this but I was wondering whether they've both been tested for FIV/FELV?
    If their immune systems have been compromised it might explain their difficulty in kicking the flu symptoms.

I have an FIV+ cat and, while it's not a death sentence, it can require a lot of work and very swift veterinary attention to the tiniest little thing to ensure that he remains healthy and his immune system gets the help it needs.
    I also have a friend with two cats with FELV and, unfortunately, that is a death sentence, albeit a slow one as when managed and controlled, FELV cats can have some quality of life for their short lives but it's a horrible disease.

I'm really hoping that I'm barking up the wrong tree here but just thought I'd ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement