Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrotherapy and claiming off your insurance?

Options
  • 15-01-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experience with this? I want to start hydro therapy with Flo now and i think you can claim of your policy for this once its been advised by your vet.

Has anyone done this? Im going to ring them anyway to see before i book a whole load of sessions, lol.

Either way ill be doing Hydro with Flo but if i can claim ill try do as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I think your right, if the vet prescribes it, it should be covered - minus excess of course.

Let us know, it can be useful if it ever comes up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh its well passed the excess already, ive had a huge claim for a Cruciate repair operation and i want to see if i can claim for Hydro as well with it.

Ill let you know if i find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I didn't know there was a canine hydrotherapy pool in Ireland ? I thought they were human or equine only ?

Yes there are a few actually. Theres one in UCD, Sallins and another over near Finglas and they are the ones that i know of, there could be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I never claimed for it last year because i wanted to keep my renewal down after op #1 - it worked lol cos it went to around €350 but i'm sure it'll max out now after op#2. It made a huge difference last year with my guy - after 3 or 4 intense sessions he was bearing weight on his 'new'/good leg. We started back yesterday - 2x2 mins lol so we have a while to go yet before he's back where he left off at 2 x 10 with the jets on. He just wears a harness too so it's tougher than wearing a life jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Just check that your hydrotherapist has been approved by the insurers.
    As far as I know this can take a while if not already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Some companies do pre approval for claims like this- I'd see if your company offers this feature, then there would be no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

We are currently in Hydrotherapy out in Coolock with our Lab, and were told we can claim off our insurance as they cover her Hip Dysplasia and the therapist is recognised by them. We just have to fill out the forms to claim, which we haven't done yet, we pay the therapist and then claim back off the insurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

Yes you can claim - I have our rottie going to Aqua Canine Hydrotherapy in Coolock and have claimed for the lessons in blocks of 10's - each claim you submit you are liable for the first €100 regardless if its for the treatment of an existing ailment.

If its something that is going to be long term the Insurance Company may require from time to time your therapist to do up an assessment report on the dog.

We did have a little hiccup last year when the insurance company felt that our rottie should get a hip replacement (think they felt long time it would be cheaper) but after getting a report from our vet and her therapist they agreed that it was not the best thing to do at this moment in time but something to look at further down the line.

Sassy, that sounds bit strange. I have a claim gone in for Flo's cruciate repair so the hydro would be in relation to this, so surely its not a new claim?

Ive already paid my excess on this claim so surely if im claiming for Hydro for this condition i wouldnt have to pay the excess again? Doesnt make sense if thats the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

No idea but its the same treatment she is receiving it for all the time but this is the way they have operated.

We had one of our other dogs in the vets a few weeks before christmas vet thought it was a gastro thing treated her for that but it wasn't so she was back within 2 days and they found out that it was a degenerative spinal disease and the insurance company are making us pay the excess twice even thoe the vet said that it is the same thing they were just treating the ailments shown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

After claiming for the cruciate last year, my renewal stipulated that I would have to pay the excess again if I make another claim for the same condition in the new year, so I think they can basically change the rules to suit themselves when you renew. Would love to do hydro, but there's no place near Galway.

Advertisement