Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

infection transfer

Options
  • 14-01-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I have a young 3 year old cocker spaniel dog, he has reciently taken to interacting with the cows that graze beside our fence.

the thing is he seems to have bonded a relationship and 3 of the 15 cows that graze within inches of our property, they lick each other all the time, my dog licks the cows nose and face all the time with no bother to either animal.

Im conserned that my dog may catch something like liver fluke or some other bovine parisite and bring it into the house, we have a 3 year old child and im very concerned!!!!

Any help or advice would be helpfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

emobama wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a young 3 year old cocker spaniel dog, he has reciently taken to interacting with the cows that graze beside our fence.

the thing is he seems to have bonded a relationship and 3 of the 15 cows that graze within inches of our property, they lick each other all the time, my dog licks the cows nose and face all the time with no bother to either animal.

Im conserned that my dog may catch something like liver fluke or some other bovine parisite and bring it into the house, we have a 3 year old child and im very concerned!!!!

Any help or advice would be helpfull

Hi
    Don't believe you need to be concerned. There are worse things a dog can lick than a cows nose! Seriously your dog should not get any internal parasite this way. There is a risk of it picking up ringworm from the cattle if they have it but this is usually younger cattle problem. Regular worming of your dog is advised if it will be near a young child.
    Just one point be careful if calves start appearing as the cows will become very protective and may attack your dog/you

LM

Advertisement