Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike wont Stay running

Options
  • 14-01-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

HI, Hope someone can help.

I have a 1984 Suzuki GSX 750 EF, its been sitting up for quite sometime, but was running before that, without any issue.

I give it some choke, press the starter button and the starter tries away to start the bike but it just wont turn over, I replaced the plugs, cleaned the carbs, charged the life out of the battery and tried again,

by pure accident, i had my fingers in one of the carbs and when i blocked the air flow and created suction the engine turned over and came to life, gave it full revs and was sweet but unless i keep covering the carb/s it wont stay running, it cuts out.

anyone any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If there is a little tube sticking out of where you cover the carb it needs a little rubber thing on it, did the little rubber thing pop off maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

slaine27 wrote: »
    HI, Hope someone can help.

I have a 1984 Suzuki GSX 750 EF, its been sitting up for quite sometime, but was running before that, without any issue.

I give it some choke, press the starter button and the starter tries away to start the bike but it just wont turn over, I replaced the plugs, cleaned the carbs, charged the life out of the battery and tried again,

by pure accident, i had my fingers in one of the carbs and when i blocked the air flow and created suction the engine turned over and came to life, gave it full revs and was sweet but unless i keep covering the carb/s it wont stay running, it cuts out.

anyone any ideas ?

If blocking the main airway actually helps,then I'd wager what's happening is that you are 'forcing' air through the pilot/low speed circuit, and the bike fires up, so they're working. But, once you allow air through the main body, something's not right, and I'd say basically you've got fuel starvation.

This could be because your carbs need re-examining, or, if they're diaphragm carbs, maybe they've dried out and/or split.

I've been down thus road with a GSX,years ago, and I lost count of how many times I had them off to cure a similar fuel issue.

Actually, just noticed, my troublesome GSX400F was a 1984 as well !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19 slaine27

If there is a little tube sticking out of where you cover the carb it needs a little rubber thing on it, did the little rubber thing pop off maybe?

not sure where you mean, there isnt any tube coming from the carb except the air and fuel. The only other tube i see is a air bleed opposite the fuel on the petrol tank,

galwaytt wrote: »
    If blocking the main airway actually helps,then I'd wager what's happening is that you are 'forcing' air through the pilot/low speed circuit, and the bike fires up, so they're working. But, once you allow air through the main body, something's not right, and I'd say basically you've got fuel starvation.

This could be because your carbs need re-examining, or, if they're diaphragm carbs, maybe they've dried out and/or split.

I've been down thus road with a GSX,years ago, and I lost count of how many times I had them off to cure a similar fuel issue.

Actually, just noticed, my troublesome GSX400F was a 1984 as well !

guess ill have to look at my carbs again, fuel is getting into them for sure and the rubber seemed fine, but ill check again,

thanks for the help, ill give it a try and we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not turning over would mean nothing happening when you hit the starter. It was turning over, just not firing!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Not turning over would mean nothing happening when you hit the starter. It was turning over, just not firing!

oops ah yes indeed, thanks

Advertisement