Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Eircom Home Broadband

Options
  • 14-01-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if 8mb broadband is really that much better than 1mb? I was told i would only be able to get a max of 6mb if i buy the 8mb package but would that be much better? I have a family that has about 10 computers, Xbox's, Ps3's and Ipods connected at the same time and online gaming is a pain...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

cirx08 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if 8mb broadband is really that much better than 1mb? I was told i would only be able to get a max of 6mb if i buy the 8mb package but would that be much better? I have a family that has about 10 computers, Xbox's, Ps3's and Ipods connected at the same time and online gaming is a pain...

Yes you will notice a difference with so many devices connected and sharing the 1Mb bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Big Gun

Newbie here, hope I'm on the correct thread.

Vodafone rang my wife last week saying we were upgraded from 3 to 8 Mb broadband for free.

I was thrilled, rushed home, broke all speed limits :rolleyes: on the way, tried a speed test: rubbish, still at 2.86 Mb.
    Phoned Vodafone, told I'm doing everything wrong, by switching router / modem on & off each day, this creates a new IP adress every time the router is turned on, which splits the broadband line, reducing speed.
    I'm thinking RUBBISH, but jump through all the hoops that he tells me to.
    (Ethernet lead, plug out phone, blah blah).

Re - check after all this - guess what - same speed 2.86 Mb.
    Phone Vodafone again: "Who told you speed change? (Vodafone); They shouldn't have. Your line isn't up to it.
    WTF ?

My questions :

1. Does switching on & off modem slow speed?

2. Vodafone : Why do you give different answers, to same question?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cirx08

Vodafone rang my wife last week saying we were upgraded from 3 to 8 Mb broadband for free.

I was thrilled, rushed home, broke all speed limits :rolleyes: on the way, tried a speed test: rubbish, still at 2.86 Mb.
    Phoned Vodafone, told I'm doing everything wrong, by switching router / modem on & off each day, this creates a new IP adress every time the router is turned on, which splits the broadband line, reducing speed.

Phone Vodafone again: "Who told you speed change? (Vodafone); They shouldn't have. Your line isn't up to it.
    WTF ?

My questions :

I wouldn't say turning it off would affect the speed but then again i'v had mine on constantly since the day i got it, It really just depends on the condition your phone lines are in and how many people in your area have broadband because the more there are the slower the connection gets... In the future tho each or most houses will be given their own individual line so that there won't be any congestion and also more companies should be rolling out fiber optic broadband like UPC meaning speeds of up to about 150mb but until that day your stuck with what you have sorry :/

CIRX08, thanks for that.

You should see a huge difference if you change, defo recommend that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

WTF ?

My questions :

Its your line stats that determine your speed potential.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Advertisement

Thanks DUB45, spot on.

Advertisement