Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quality Newspaper

Options
  • 14-01-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I was told my English teacher that be able to get a grade A in leaving cert English i was to read "Quality Newspapers".

My question is could somebody name a well written quality, (A)world and (B) National newspaper that is available in Ireland?
    I know you can get a lot of world and local papers in some Easons and what would be the best?

Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Irish Times

Sunday Business Post

Irish News

Irish Examiner

The Farmers Journal ( If interested in working in Agriculture)

We have a few English and Global newspapers too

Financial Times

Daily Express

The Times

The Independent

USA Today

EL Pais!

All are seen in Easons only BTW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Irish Times

Sunday Business Post

Irish News

Irish Examiner

The Farmers Journal ( If interested in working in Agriculture)

Financial Times

Daily Express

The Times

The Sunday Times

The Independent

USA Today

EL Pais!

Some will be available for free in your local public library, some can be read online, some (Irish) papers are available for free to guests / diners in hotels and some restaurants (in order to inflate circulation figures and thereby their advertising rate cards).

Sorry, I've crossed out the ones which IMHO are not worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sunday Business Post

Wall Street Journal Europe. Lots of interesting articles and opinions. It's a more interesting read then the FT

Farmers Journal is quality and worth a read just once.

Tried the Irish Examiner a few times and they should go back to being the Cork Examiner based on what is in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Of the Irish papers The Irish Times is probably the most interesting paper although it seems to have cut back on its foreign service in recent years.

To help with grades I suggest that you read the editorial of the paper as this is the papers mouthpiece and usually great care and attention is taken in the writing of these pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

New york times ?
    Can you get it here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

I think the London Independent is very good as an occasional read, especially on Friday when it has a great books and arts section, only 1 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Presuming its the same as UCC and CIT, but just a fyi OP, if you are going to be buying a lot of newspapers, English language or otherwise, the bulk are about half-price in any of the shops in third level colleges around Dublin. E.g. the Examiner in UCC or CIT is 80 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Irish Times is free online, as is the Guardian, and the New Yorker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

goose2005 wrote: »

In regard to the Irish Times, Are you talking about the website, e-paper or the irish times archive which are both payable by subscriptions.

The subscription rates for it's e-paper are here below.

Purchase Options

Period Amount
    Single Issue € 1.85
    Single Issue Saturday € 2.15
    1 Month € 20.00
    3 Months € 50.00
    Annual € 160.00

The subscription rates for the Irish times archive are here.

Choose a Domestic Subscription type - required

1 Year EUR € 395
    1 Month EUR € 65
    1 week EUR € 26
    1 Day EUR € 10

So, unfortunately it not as free as you seem it to be. This person may be doing it for a historical references as well as revelance to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As well as reading quality newspapers, try to get into the habit of using correct spelling, capitalisation and grammar in the next few months. If you use it in internet posts and texts to friends, it will come more naturally to you during the exam, and be one less thing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    As well as reading quality newspapers, try to get into the habit of using correct spelling, capitalisation and grammar in the next few months. If you use it in internet posts and texts to friends, it will come more naturally to you during the exam, and be one less thing to worry about.
    That one thing ive been trying to do. Even on my Facebook status and just general writing. I'm God awful at spelling and grammar.

"tommy21
    Presuming its the same as UCC and CIT, but just a fyi OP, if you are going to be buying a lot of newspapers, English language or otherwise, the bulk are about half-price in any of the shops in third level colleges around Dublin. E.g. the Examiner in UCC or CIT is 80 cent. "

I'm doing my leaving cert

goose2005 wrote: »

Editorials ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

bpb101 wrote: »
    That one thing ive been trying to do. Even on my Facebook status and just general writing. I'm God awful at spelling and grammar.

If you'd like corrections, just ask (maybe not in this forum though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Decent book I've used in my journalistic pursuits (but useful to any writer) is Harold Evan's Essential English for Journalists, Editors and Writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The Guardian and the Observer are the best quality papers in the UK imo. Then again I do lean slightly to the left.

I'm sure the mention of The Daily Express was a joke. It's about as far removed from quality as you can get.

George Orwell wrote a brilliant piece on what makes for good journalism and good non-fictional writing in English. Have a read if you get the chance. Still holds good today...

http://orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

The Financial Times is also good for its opinion pieces. It's magazine on a Saturday can also be very interesting.

Advertisement