Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider & beer festivals in Europe, May/June 2012: recommendations?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 5:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

So I've been googling for several hours now. I'm specifically looking for festivals on during our bank holiday weekends: Friday 4 May - Monday 7 May & Friday 1 June - Monday 4 June. There'll be about 10-15 lads going.

1.The Bergkirchweih in Erlangen (May 24 - June 4 2012) is the frontrunner now. Return flight to Munich for the June weekend cost €114 today. It leaves Dublin on Friday morning and Saturday morning so nobody has to miss Friday work. Then a train or shuttle bus can be got to Nuremberg and on to Erlangen (c €40 return).

2. The Stuttgarter Frühlingsfest 2012 is another strong contender. It's on between the 21 April and 13 May. As of today, a return flight leaving on Friday morning 4 May and returning on 7 May with Aer Lingus cost €113. The downside of this is that people would have to take the Friday off work because the next flight is Sunday.

3. The Munich Frühlingfest on the May bank holiday sounded tempting, but it says in this excellent guide that it's basically the end of the Strong Beer Season. If 'strong beer' means beers of 7% - 11% alcohol I'm not mad about them following a recent trip to Belgium.

A lot of the Beer festival guides have a strong anglophone bent - e.g. Beer Festival Calendar - and with the exception of Prague, there appears to be few European beer festivals outside Germany and Britain. There is a "beer festival" advertised in the Isle of Man but in reality it seems like one hotel is hosting it. At this time of year are there any Italian beer festivals? (I love Nastro Azzuro/Peroni) French? Austrian? Spanish? How about Cider festivals (that ridiculously expensive Duché de Longueville cider from Normandy in O'Brien's was gorgeous)? I came across a cider festival in Britanny, Fête des pommiers but it's too late, 20-22 July 2012.

All suggestions for anywhere in Europe that has air transport from Dublin will be welcome. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement