Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for College.

Options
  • 14-01-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Well lads,
    Just wanted to get a bit of advice from all you techies out there. I'm due to start college next year in Maynooth and I'm looking to buy a laptop but don't know really what to get. I'm doing an Arts degree in Music Technology and History hopefully so I would need a laptop with a nice bit of memory, good bit of ram, an i5 processor and I'd like for it to be light to carry around. For the Music course I need to be able to run Recording and Production programs and for the history its just the basics. Any advice on models and stuff would be great, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/Site/Catalog/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=80003562

Was looking at this yolk myself, but I'm holding out for the ivy bridge processors in April/May. It's 699, a great price for the specs:

Specifications
    Product Description Asus K53SV-SX706V
    Display 15.6" Widescreen 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED Backlight
    Processor 2nd Generation Intel® CoreT i5 2430 processor
    RAM 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
    Storage 640GB
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT540M - 2GB
    Optical Drive DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Card Reader 4-in1 card reader - SD/ MS/ MS Pro/ MMC
    Network Gigabit LAN, Wireless b/g/n network
    Colour Bronze
    Connections 3x USB2.0, HDMI, VGA, Gigabit LAN RJ45, Jack in, Jack out
    Dimensions 37.8cm x 25.3cm x 3.5cm
    Weight 2.6 kg
    Battery 6 Cell - 5200mAh/56Whrs
    Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

That would be like the dream machine but unfortunately, as a prospective student whos purchase is gonna be self funded, I doubt I'll have that money. My friend showed me this one and said it would be good? Any opinions?
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G570_1123917.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

That would be like the dream machine but unfortunately, as a prospective student whos purchase is gonna be self funded, I doubt I'll have that money. My friend showed me this one and said it would be good? Any opinions?
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_G570_1123917.html
    Yea, I do.

The "dream machie" is only €35 more than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Yeah really should of converted from GBP back to euro :pac: Thanks for the advice anyway guys. Should be buying either one or the other by next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Which laptop is graphically stronger?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 cutefainne

If you will be working with pro tools then you will need a mac

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

cutefainne wrote: »

i don't really need it, but my friend is going to buy either one or the other so i just want to know which is better because theres not much difference in price?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Pro Tools works on Windows too :confused::confused:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

There's very rarely a situation where you NEED a mac, you may convince yourself that you need one because you want one.

Advertisement