Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I register a foreign address with AIB?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I have this question because I will have to go back to my home country (outside EU) for a year. I am planning to come back after that. Therefore I want to keep my AIB current account and bank card.

Have been with AIB for several years. Can I phone AIB to change my registered address to my home country? If not, any bank in Ireland allows a foreign address? Other alternative to keep a bank account here? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I'm not 100% sure but I doubt they will.

You could leave it open though while your away. Is their anyone you know here who could have the mail delivered to them while your away?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

Thank you. It is very difficult to find someone here to look after mails from the bank for me. My friends may also move address. I might just leave the account as it is. I can access it via internet banking page.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I know someone who moved back to the UK and kept his Ulster Bank account open in Ireland - with the UK address . No problem for them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

No harm in asking to see if they'll do it for you.

If not you could change your statement frequency to yearly if you are going for less than a year and change your address before you come back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I had AIB accounts registered to a non Irish address before. Shouldn't be an issue, really one would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

As well as changing statement frequency to yearly, you can also stop hard copies of statements being sent out.

I havent received post from AIB in 2-3 years, apart from letters/statements I've requested.

1-2 circulars from them max,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    As well as changing statement frequency to yearly, you can also stop hard copies of statements being sent out.

I havent received post from AIB in 2-3 years, apart from letters/statements I've requested.

1-2 circulars from them max,

There is no reason why they shouldn't accept the foreign address; my AIB account, open since 1986, was attached to a UK address from 1996 to 2007 without problem.

If instead you leave the address, they will send you mail at some point, it's effectively a part of anti money laundering checks. If that mail is returned to the bank because you no longer live there, they will eventually have to suspend your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

UB would not oblige me with registering a change of address outside the state. I simply emptied the account instead.

Advertisement