Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7.1 development

Options
  • 14-01-2012 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi

just wondering if any one here doing any windows phone 7.1 development
    i am just starting out...
    was wondering about a database association...
    cannot find references...
    if anyone can help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

For a local (on the phone) database look at this video or if you want a database shared by more users / devices then I'd suggest host it on Azure and access it with REST services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I'm looking into doing some windows phone development as well. I'm partially dreaming of becoming a millionaire off some fart apps and mainly just looking to get some c# experience in a practical way.

I started out with android, but eclipse + Java + android SDK is just a massive learning curve, I would have to start from the bottom maybe after a like a year or two in my spare time I might be able to make an app and know what the hell I'm actually doing. Whereas I know my way around Visual Studio and its so helpful that it makes learning massively easy.

The real question on my mind is if anybody out there actually owns or will own a Windows Phone, or is just a bit of a dead end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

imitation wrote: »
    The real question on my mind is if anybody out there actually owns or will own a Windows Phone, or is just a bit of a dead end.
    It's still quite niche, but there's many of us out here already who own them, and supposedly there'll be a big marketing push coming with the launch of Nokia's Lumia 900.

The techniques that you'll use, C# code with SilverLight/WPF will be useful to you outside of WP7 as well. Windows 8 Metro apps can be built with either C#/WPF or HTML 5, so skills you learn for WP7 (and 95% of the code you write) will translate to Windows 8 Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

There aren't many Windows Phone 7 developers here, but we are here. :)

There is something about databases on the Code Samples for Windows Phone page on MSDN. It's pretty well documented, but do you have a specific question in mind?

As for Windows Phone 7 itself, I'd agree completely with what stevenmu said. I learned C# through ASP.NET, but I've used a great deal of that to code Windows Forms applications and Windows Phone 7 things. I'm going to delve into Windows 8 Metro development when the beta comes out. I've played around with the developer preview, but not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I had a look at the market, I would love to stick up a few apps for the laugh, even if I did have to pay the subscription, but the Taxation side of it looks like it would make complicated, has anybody done it ? Is it worth the bother for a bedroom coder or would you want to be at it full time for it to be worth the hassle ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement