Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendations for historical reading

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I've always read a lot of history works, both popular and more academic, but I tend to gravitate towards topics which interest me, particularly Roman history. I'd like to give other topics a try this year, and so am looking for recommendations. I'm not going to give any criteria for suggestions because that's load the die in favour of Roman history and defeat the purpose of the exercise. So, any and all suggestions welcome. And if you have read a great book on Roman or Classical history, feel free to mention that too.

Thanks!

PS: Primary sources such as auto-biographies are fine, but I'd rather not compendia of primary documents.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As a classicist, I'd say to look at the Greek way of war the excellent : "The Western Way of War" by Victor Davis Hanson.
    Outside that time period, as we are coming up to the 200 anniversary of the invasion of Russia.
    Russia Against Napoleon: The Battle for Europe, 1807 to 1814 by
    Dominic Lieven

and

1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow by Adam Zamoyski

Both written on the same event, by coming to differing conclusions, especially in regard to the Russian game plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's not a book but I'd recommend the Hardcore History podcasts from Dan Carlin

He does a six part series on Death Throes on the Republic
    It's over ten hours, longer then a lot of books

Searching Dan Carlin in itunes is the easiest way but you can get them from the website
    http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

Love this guy, he makes history come alive

There are other podcasts too, not just Rome

I know you asked for books, sorry for going offtopic :o

Advertisement