Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hsa closing down shop am i entitled to be paid whilst its closed

Options
  • 13-01-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hsa closing down are closing down the shop i work in. Its a fish shop. Its been closed since end of december without wages. Are they entitled to do this or do they have to pay me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Why would the HSA pay you? I presume they closed the shop due to health and safety issues. That's like saying "The Gardaí arrested my boss for corruption. Can I claim compensation from them?"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

No should my employer pay me ? it was up to them to have the shop up to health and safety standards. Its closed about a month now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

That makes a little more sense. Have you a contract of emploment or are you in a union?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

we are in a union. The union complained twice about health and safety issues but my employer didnt reply to them. They just ignored the union like they weren t there. Hsa came in then closed us down a couple of months later. Now I am in limbo. Now the company are saying they are now going to pay our wages. They wont listen to the union so i dont know what to do. Am i entitled to wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How long are you working there? I would go to the social welfare and start a claim, just in case. Years ago, I worked in a store that was fire damages, we were told to sign on until the store was safe enough for staff to re-stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

number13 wrote: »
    we are in a union. The union complained twice about health and safety issues but my employer didnt reply to them. They just ignored the union like they weren t there. Hsa came in then closed us down a couple of months later. Now I am in limbo. Now the company are saying they are now going to pay our wages. They wont listen to the union so i dont know what to do. Am i entitled to wages?
    Contact the H.S.A., I can't find anything online but if i recall correctly when the new laws for the H.S.A came in one of the things that was announced was that if a business was shut for health and safety reasons then the business had to pay the wages of the staff affected. It was to form part of the punishment for being bold.

Advertisement