Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trim - bin collections

Options
  • 13-01-2012 9:11pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of year again, have to renew with the bin collection company. Just wondering who others in Trim are using and how they find them service-wise and cost-wise? I've been with Mahons since I moved here, got a quote last year from Thorntons which was around €20 than Mahons, and Mahons matched it, so I stayed with them.

What other companies operate in Trim and anyone got any recommendations? These are listed on the Meath website, but I'm not sure they all cover Trim:
    http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Environment/DomesticBinCollection/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tusmaith

hi,
    i am with mahon's too but put a tag on the bin each time i put it out (€12)
    i can get away with putting it out approx every 3 weeks so this works out at €204 per annum
    and i use the local recycling centre approx once a month (€3 per visit) so my waste cost for the year works out at approx €240.
    How does that compare to what mahons charge per annum?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I paid around €280 last year. Not sure tags would work for me because while I throw out very little in the general waste bin, I do have a lot of grass to get rid of in the summer so I'm having to put the bin out weekly in the summer.

Do you get a free recycle bin with the tags? I'd need a recycle bin definitely as most of our waste goes in the recycle bin.

As regards the recycle centre - it's pretty poor in my opinion. I used to live near the Coolmine recycle centre (Fingal) and it was free in, and they took a lot more than those chancers in Trim. €3 in to Trim, and they won't take old car oil filters or the old oil containers. Cop out from Meath Co. Co. imo - they should be running those centres themselves and doing it properly rather than outsouring them on the cheap. The current setup does not encourage recycling.

hi paulo,
    no you don't get a recycling bin with the tags, you can buy a green tag for your recycling bin and put it out separately.
    I paid €50 initially for the "tag bin", i assume you would have to purchase a green bin off them too to allow you to put the green tag on it. I probably won't go down this route as i am happy enough with the system i have at the moment.
    when i cut grass, i try to take that to the recycling centre too which maximises the value for money.
    i do agree with you about the centre, there are better ones out there but it is adequate for my needs. I had a few run in's with one of the lads down there about seperating of rubbish.
    i had a bicycle wheel with the tyre and tube still on it that was buckled, i threw it in having seen a whole bicycle previously in the skip with rubber on and was told to take it out..... i said look at the rim there with the rubber on it and the answer i got was - i didn't see that person putting it in.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

tusmaith wrote: »
    hi paulo,
    no you don't get a recycling bin with the tags, you can buy a green tag for your recycling bin and put it out separately.
    I paid €50 initially for the "tag bin", i assume you would have to purchase a green bin off them too to allow you to put the green tag on it. I probably won't go down this route as i am happy enough with the system i have at the moment.
    when i cut grass, i try to take that to the recycling centre too which maximises the value for money.
    i do agree with you about the centre, there are better ones out there but it is adequate for my needs. I had a few run in's with one of the lads down there about seperating of rubbish.
    i had a bicycle wheel with the tyre and tube still on it that was buckled, i threw it in having seen a whole bicycle previously in the skip with rubber on and was told to take it out..... i said look at the rim there with the rubber on it and the answer i got was - i didn't see that person putting it in.....

Yeah I think the different systems work for different people. The tag system wouldn't work for me as I need a recycle bin and given the amount of grass I need to bin. Don't think I'm going to save much off €280 to renew this year, but I'll try.

As regards the lads down in the recycle centre, one in particular is a bit of a jobsworth, and will study what you are getting rid of and where. He was over to me in a flash when I went down there after moving house and I had a load of empty boxes in the back of the car - he thought I owned a shop or something and was trying to offload commerical waste at domestic rates.

The one in Coolmine I was used to using before was a much better setup, and was free in for standard recyclables. You paid in bin tags for anything else like bulky waste, non-recyclable waste, which imo is a better way to pay for these things than cash. The lads down there were great, you'd just leave the old oil and filters on a table and they'd look after them. In Trim, they'll not do anything for you and you have to take the old oil container away!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jelfs

My bill for Maho*s has gone up from 280 to 312 this year.
    On the subject of Trim recycling centre, it is disgraceful to charge 3 euro for this service as it's is not encouraging recycling at all. How come Dublin centres are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

The recycling centres in Trim and Navan penalise good citizenship.

Have decided to switch to Thorntons in the end. Went for the pay-per-lift option which I think will work out better for us. Recycle bin lifts are free with Thorntons.

We were the same, got a bill from Mahons for €312. They've also been promising a brown bin for 2 years now and no sign of it, and you can't get the calendar from their website either.

As for the recycle centres, total cop out by Meath Co. Co..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

with that new incinerator in duleek the bills would be coming down

hi paulo, how much is it per lift with thorntons?

tusmaith wrote: »
    hi paulo, how much is it per lift with thorntons?

€7.50 for the waste bin, €4.20 for the brown bin. Recycle bin is free of charge (that's the one we use most, hence this seems to be the best deal for us).

Details here:
    http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/domestic-meath-sign-up

• Advertisement

thanks paulo,
    i will give them a bell tomorrow!
    looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

aes (midland waste) - 347 annual
    panda -282 annual

both 240 litre bin + recycle bin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So Thorntons have just moved all their bin collections (black, brown and green) to Fridays.

If we're off for a long weekend the bins could now be left sitting out in the street advertising an empty house for burglars. I'll have to have a word with the neighbours perhaps about taking our bin in or consider switching.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Hate digging up zombie threads, but what is the latest on bin charges in Trim? Who is offering what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I haven't shopped around but I'm still with Thorntons. I pay as I go so need to top up online every now and again.

Lift charges are:
    Black Bin - € 9.90 (then € 0.25 for every kg over 40 kg)
    Brown Bin - € 4.50
    Green Bin - € 1. This charge was just introduced in the last week

Had this email from them this week too:
    Have you considered choosing our new Eco Band option? Many customers have found it is the most economical option for a 3 bin service.
    The price per month is *€21.50 for bi-weekly collections of general waste, compost and recycling bins.
    *Price per general waste bin lift based on weight up to 40kg per month. Excess charges of €0.25 per kg over 40kg per month.

That'd work out at about € 258 per year. I'm not sure if there's an annual service charge on top of that as there's no mention in the email.

There is an annual service charge of € 50 with my current setup. My lift charges per month are definitely less than € 21.50 on pay as I go but if there's no service charge I may consider switching.

http://thorntons-recycling.ie/add-page/switch-eco-band/

I see that Dublin is cheaper.

Advertisement