Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake dentist jailed in UK.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

"A fake dentist who conned elderly patients into paying up to £1,400 for wonky sets of false teeth has been condemned as a charlatan by a judge.

Stephen Sickelmore, 52, posed as a qualified professional when he visited patients all over Devon and Cornwall and took impressions of their mouths.

But the only impression he left was a bad one as he conned £200,000 out of unsuspecting clients - money that the court hope to confiscate from him"

wvreip.jpg

n1wdg1.jpg

The large stilson alone would give me the creeps. :eek:

The name Sicklemore is quite appropriate. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086358/Judge-condemns-fake-dentist-Stephen-Sicklemore-conned-elderly-patients-hundreds-thousands-making-dentures-filthy-conditions.html

Looks ok to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i knew there was something wrong when he told me i needed a filling in my false teeth,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

bizarely enough is there much of a difference between this guy and most of the lads calling themselves 'dental technician' in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Think the thread title should be changed, he was not jailed, he got a 9 month sentence, suspended for a period of 2 years and 180 hours community work. Hope the community work is not doing dental work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

digzy wrote: »
    bizarely enough is there much of a difference between this guy and most of the lads calling themselves 'dental technician' in this country?
    Funny enough we never see what goes behind the scenes where they make dentures. There are probably more places like that. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

denture polishing wheels generally look very messy and melted wax always looks like melted wax.

I don't think the man was claiming to be a dentist. he seems to be a trained technician (5 yrs apprenticeship), but working without a license. he could do that legally in many countries..... Canada, for example. I don't know when such a license became a legal requirement in the UK.

hysteria aside, he doesn't appear to have been a very capable denturist and seems to have been dishonest also.

The public would be well advised to obtain dental treatment only from qualified professionals and avoid "dental therapists" of any description.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clinical Dental tech

I would just like to point out that a dental therapist is a qualified dental professional.
    what the man was doing is no different to what hundreds of illegally practicing technicians in ireland do and that is treat patients directly.
    The only people allowed to make denture directly to patients are dentists and clinical dental technicians, which there are 13 in ireland.
    the rest of the people who make dentures for the public who want to call themselves "technicians" or "denturists" are untrained, unqualified and not insured. in short they are crooks, fakes and a bunch of charlatans who should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I would just like to point out that a dental therapist is a qualified dental professional.
    what the man was doing is no different to what hundreds of illegally practicing technicians in ireland do and that is treat patients directly.
    The only people allowed to make denture directly to patients are dentists and clinical dental technicians, which there are 13 in ireland.
    the rest of the people who make dentures for the public who want to call themselves "technicians" or "denturists" are untrained, unqualified and not insured. in short they are crooks, fakes and a bunch of charlatans who should be avoided at all costs.

I may be me off point but the dental council has a register of clinical dental technicians, I do not think they are dental therapists but stand to be corrected,? I do think this is an important point so patients know who they can see legally. I wonder how many of these clinical dental technicians were formally working directly to the public and were in your own words "untrained, unqualified and not insured. in short ... crooks, fakes and a bunch of charlatans"...wow strong words, shame it is unlikely anything will be done about this illegal dentistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Clinical Dental tech

A clinical dental technician is exactly that. a dental therapist is a totally separate qualification.
    As for your other point regarding how many CDT's treated patients before qualification, probably all of them.
    Every technician has had the opportunity to become a CDT but most have not, either because they would not be able to or want to complete the educational and clinical work.
    It's not until you complete a CDT course do you realise how dangerous you were before.
    I presume by the way you have leapt to the defence of these crooks that you make dentures for the public, would i be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Oh Clinical Dental tech you walked into this one. Mr. Work is a prosthodontist and makes dentures for the public at a level far beyond that of a CDT. If I were you I wouldn't get into and argument with him, your not going to win :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement