Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War I books

Options
  • 13-01-2012 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I read Rise and fall of the third reich - excellent, and during reading this I realised I don't know much about WWI ... so any good recommendations
    on the history of WWI and the lead up to it ?

I have found this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-I-Hp-Willmott/dp/0756650151/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326381499&sr=1-1

it gets positive reviews, but DK tend to be big heavy coffee table
    books, anyone know if there is a compact version ?

What about books by A J P Taylor ? - I hear he is a very respected historian.

Thank you so much ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

The best book I have read about the Great War was 'Deaths Men' by Henry Winter.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For an accessible grand-overview, World War One: A Short History by Norman Stone.
    For a mix of literature/ground level view of trench warfare, Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

A recent book on the subject which I've found to be excellent is The Origins of the First World War by William Mulligan. Although it deals mostly with the build up to the war it is still really interesting and gives a great background on the subject! Adrian Gregory's The Last Great War is also brilliant and gives an unusual perspective which I have not found else where. AJP Taylor's work is obviously fantastic however its a bit dated now, and I would recommend newer revisionist historians! Fritz Fischer's book Germany's Aims in the First World War is fascinating. I mean I completely disagree with his argument but it is certainly a book which should be read by anyone interested in the First World War!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I read Rise and fall of the third reich - excellent, and during reading this I realised I don't know much about WWI ... so any good recommendations
    on the history of WWI and the lead up to it ?

I have found this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-I-Hp-Willmott/dp/0756650151/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326381499&sr=1-1

it gets positive reviews, but DK tend to be big heavy coffee table
    books, anyone know if there is a compact version ?

What about books by A J P Taylor ? - I hear he is a very respected historian.

Thank you so much ...

why not try All Quiet on the Western Front? Remargue also has short stories.

I would recommend Charleys War. Its now available in Graphic Novel form and is mine of accurate information. There are eight volumes available at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

1914-1918 by David Stevenson is a very good single volume history and it's widely available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

The myth of the great war :a new military history of world war one by John Mosier (How the Germans won the battles and how the Americans saved the Allies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Thanks! ... anyone know about that DK book ? is it a massive brick or is there a compact version ?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

OP if you live in Dublin I recommend you stroll into Chapters on Parnell Street. They have a pretty good militaria and history section.

Advertisement