Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burgman 400 problems

Options
  • 13-01-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

i took my 03 suzuki burgman 400 to the bike shop yesterday to get new brake pads fitted but the mechanic told me later in the day the bike sounds in a very bad way and that the problem is engine related, either the gasket or cam shaft. problem is he doesnt want to go anywhere at it and he isnt 100% sure so they recommend i take it to a main dealer that would have the relevant expertise and equipment to fix this problem. anyone out there know a dealer that can help and if at all possible wont charge an arm and 2 legs to fix it. im not expecting it to be a cheap fix but hope i wont have to re-mortgage the house to pay for the repairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mikesp

Who is the mechanic? To avoid him in the future. A mechanic that is "afraid" of solving a mechanic problem...

How's the sound? It's something like a metallic clonk-clonk-clonk?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Has the engine oil and filter been changed at the correct schedule and kept topped up in between changes?

If so it's very unlikely that major engine problems would occur unless the mileage was very high.

Get someone else to look at it and don't tell them what the other guy said.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

im using the term afraid not him and i have no reason to doubt him, he has said to take the bike elsewhere so anyone sending business away must be because of something. the oil and filter are ok, there isnt near 20,000 on the bike. its an 03

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

I used to have a 04 one of these - they are considered reliable machines.

Don't be afraid of what your mechanic says, I was told that there was a drive-train issue with mine (it ticked when freewheeling) and it was a serious fault.

Some research and it was a non-essential idler bearing that I replaced for €11.

The 03 400 is fuel injected, with a ECU, and engine management lights on?

Also, did you find www.burmanusa.com - load of experiences on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Oh - and BTW I used a Mechanic in Dublin, called Iggy over in Blachardstown (can't remember surname). Found him pretty good.

Where are you based?

• Advertisement
Advertisement