Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Friends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A 121 in supertrain and a 141 in IE, never realised there was such an overlap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A 121 in supertrain and a 141 in IE, never realised there was such an overlap!

I dont see a 121??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no 130...picture no 3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Just trawling the net for some info on No 90, 0-6-0T. Info states it was withdrawn from service with CIE in 1961. Link.

I actually remember a little green 0-6-0 tank engine (let's call it 'X') which used to appear regularly at Connolly in the summer evenings circa 1960 and the number '90' kind of rings a bell. I remember yarning with the driver and fireman who told me they had come over from Inchicore, possibly for shunting duties. It was nearly always stopped at Howth end of Platform 5.

Another memory I have of 'X' is whizzing through Killester Station on an IRRS ??? excursion to Howth with 2 members of the IRRS on the footplate that I knew to see, plus others of course. The question is - was that locomotive No 90 ? Anyone know a little more of its pre-Mallow history ?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

I actually remember a little green 0-6-0 tank engine (let's call it 'X') which used to appear regularly at Connolly in the summer evenings circa 1960.

Another memory I have of 'X' is whizzing through Killester Station on an IRRS ??? excursion to Howth with 2 members of the IRRS on the footplate that I knew to see, plus others of course. The question is - was that locomotive No 90 ? Anyone know a little more of its pre-Mallow history ?

I know the year 90 was withdrawn it had been repainted into a dark green livery at Inchicore, so it may have been in the Dublin area for a while. It would have to have been at least before March 1962, when it was moved to Mallow and subsequently Fermoy.

The IRRS railtour you may have seen was one that operated around the Dublin area in August 1961, operating from Maynooth to North Wall and Howth. The loco used was one of the ex GNR JT 2-4-2 tank engines (one of these is at Cultra).

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    no 130...picture no 3...

Picture 9, in the background. Probably 125, which was withdrawn in 1985/86.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I know the year 90 was withdrawn it had been repainted into a dark green livery at Inchicore, so it may have been in the Dublin area for a while. It would have to have been at least before March 1962, when it was moved to Mallow and subsequently Fermoy.

The IRRS railtour you may have seen was one that operated around the Dublin area in August 1961, operating from Maynooth to North Wall and Howth. The loco used was one of the ex GNR JT 2-4-2 tank engines (one of these is at Cultra).

Many thanks for that Eiretrains. It's a long time back and I'm taking it from memory, so I could be mistaken regarding the railtour loco. Green or dark green was the colour ok and 0-6-0T for the sightings at Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I dont see a 121??
    :rolleyes: did you even look?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

2 other old friends moved last night from the RPSI's Whitehead base to Cultra. Both the Hunslet and Sulzer were moved with the aid of 2 NIR GM's to their new home.

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/January-2012/20853926_3wtWPx#!i=1681012062&k=mvqhgWn

Pics are on page 4.

lord lucan wrote: »
    2 other old friends moved last night from the RPSI's Whitehead base to Cultra. Both the Hunslet and Sulzer were moved with the aid of 2 NIR GM's to their new home.

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/January-2012/20853926_3wtWPx#!i=1681012062&k=mvqhgWn

Pics are on page 4.

desrves a thread of its own! What is comiong out of Cultra to make room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

desrves a thread of its own! What is comiong out of Cultra to make room?

If i remember right,RB3 left to go to Downpatrick and a Dining Coach was to be taken by the RPSI. This would free up the 2 berths needed for the 2 locos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

lord lucan wrote: »
    If i remember right,RB3 left to go to Downpatrick and a Dining Coach was to be taken by the RPSI. This would free up the 2 berths needed for the 2 locos.

That dining coach is 2422 (actually owned by the RPSI). It's a sister to 2421, which is used in the Heritage Set in Dublin, 2419 in Downpatrick, somehow 3/4 of the 1956 batch survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Why O why did they have to do that transfer at night.:mad: I know there probably are valid reasons why, but for the history of it alone, a few daytime shots or video of the transfer would have been fab.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I believe the transfer had a low speed restriction (5mph?), so it probably would have been unwise to run that in the middle of the passenger timetable!

Nice one, there's even a photo of 125 in service. Not many floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Karsini wrote: »
    Nice one, there's even a photo of 125 in service. Not many floating around.

Why's that?

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Why's that?

Mainly due to its early withdrawal. 125 was involved in a serious accident in the mid 70s where the cab was pretty much ripped off. It was repaired and returned to service but was never "right" after that. It then suffered an electrical fire in 1986 and was stopped. However it wasn't scrapped until 2002.

Advertisement